Kristy's Reviews > Martin Dressler: The Tale of an American Dreamer

Martin Dressler by Steven Millhauser

Jun 08, 10

Read in June, 2010

I don't know what to think of this book--it wasn't bad, or even flawed...but it wasn't great either. I loved the turn of the century period details. The amount of historic research that must have gone into this book is amazing. l also like the idea of a novel about a "dreamer" who pushes his success and efficiency to such fantastical limits (Dressler seeks to create cities within cities, combining museums, amusement parks, theaters, etc. within collossal, hotel-like structures that take up blocks of New York streets.) But there was something missing in this story that I can't quite put my finger on...I can't tell if it's a problem with the narrative or if it was done intentionally. The character of Martin Dressler is very unlikable and almost completely without emotion. He has no heart or soul--only his desire to succeed, to create the ultimate, transcendent building. His relationships with women play a big role in the novel, but they were totally baffling and rather unbelievable. I don't know. I didn't dislike it---it's a very entertaining, easy read, despite some rather long winded descriptions. But there's just something I'm not getting....did anyone else read this? Thoughts?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Martin Dressler.