AdultNonFiction Teton County Library's Reviews > This Bridge Called My Back: Writings by Radical Women of Color

This Bridge Called My Back by Cherríe L. Moraga

Jun 01, 2010

Teton County Library Call No: Must be ILLed
Marisa's rating: 4 stars

This is a unique book covering some feminist topics not covered in the standard reader. While it is a bit old, it contains several essays by feminists of color discussing their experience, racism, poverty, the prevalence of racism in the feminist movement in the early 1980s and most importantly the individual experiences of asian pacific, black, american indian and latina/chicana women. I found this extremely interesting as well as startling. It once again opened my eyes to the idea that there can be no generalizing when it comes to the female experience. I hope that things have changed for the better since this was written but I fear, it hasn't enough. I was especially troubled by the brutality of some of the treatment women have experienced at the hand of their families, partners, ethnic group and sadly other feminists. I wanted to personally thank these women for sharing such sensitive stories. A great read for those interested in truly knowing about what being a feminist means for our multi-cultural day and age.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Bridge Called My Back.