Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)'s Reviews > Ruthless Game

Ruthless Game by Christine Feehan

Aug 03, 12

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, part-of-a-series, soldier-or-military, psychic, favorite-or-autobuy-author, fated-to-be-mated, dhasg-january-2011-read, hot-heroes-kicking-butt, hot-and-steamy-romance, hero-to-die-for, heroine-i-adore, pregnancy, daddy-hero, baby, asian-hero-or-heroine, interracial-romance, sigh-worthy-hero, steadfast-hero, kickbutt-heroine, warrior-woman, warrior, stranded-marooned, scary-sexy-cool-dangerous-hero, hero-is-first-and-only-lover, owned-copy, irr-challenge-1-2011, library-checkout, reread, audiobook, brotherhood, genetically-enhanced-dna-manipulati, dangerous-hero-2012-general-reading, 2012-sky-s-the-limit-club, yearly-reading-challenge, irr-summer-loving-challenge, 2012-ir-abc-cover-challenge, action-adventure-aficionados-2012-c
Recommended for: Fans of military romance
Read from July 28 to August 03, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 3 (2nd read audiobook)

Reread from 7/28-8/3/12

My Thoughts:

General Thoughts--

I loved this second book with Team Three! This is one family I would want to have at my back. Being a sappy person who loves babies and gets jazzed with the inclusion of a pregnancy into the storyline, I was a happy camper with this book. And to think Ms. Feehan was able to successfully integrate this into a high-octane action romance, even better. The storyline takes the Whitney GhostWalker conspiracy to a different level, and it's kinda twisted with the creation of super-soldiers the hard way. I'm really glad that Kane and Rose loved each other and were able to get their baby free of that mess.

I adore Sebastian. His uncanny intelligence and awareness at a young age really worked for me. Reading about him was one of my favorite aspects of this book, along with the camaraderie between the Team Three family. I know, broken record.

Kane--
Such a great mix of tough alpha hero and sweet, loving hero. I love a guy who can kill the bad guys but also deliver his child and take care of the baby's mother so lovingly. Sigh! Kane has so much integrity and that shines through. I can see why Rose didn't want to give him up!

Rose--
Rose is tough and sweet. She's a mix of vulnerable and fierce. I loved her protectiveness of her child, but also the fact that she had a soft-hearted love for Kane, despite being raised only for being a soldier. She's one of my favorite women in this series, but that's saying a lot because I love them all.

I will keep this review short to avoid the Broken Record Syndrome. Anyway, loved my third reread, and super-excited to continue this series. This brings my epic Summer 2012 reread of the GhostWalkers series to a conclusion. Now I can read the next installment, Samurai Game, and keep my fingers crossed that Ms. Feehan will get to Javier and Rhianna's book sometime soon. That's going to be outrageous!

*************************************************************
Addendum to Review for Audiobook--Completed 8/28/11:

Although I really dislike the narrator's voice (the same one as on Predatory Game), especially the manner in which he does the women characters, I couldn't resist checking this out from the library. I loved Kane and Rose's story the first time, and loved it this time as well. It took me forever to finish because I would listen to this at bedtime. Of course, I'd fall asleep, and the next night I'd have to rewind it to get to the part where I'd fallen asleep. My prior review of the book stands, but for the audiobook, my rating is slightly lower, because the narrator made some parts sounds cheesy, unfortunately.

I am a huge fan of Christine Feehan, although I can totally see why she wouldn't work for some readers. She is a bit repetitive in some of the language. That's something I can get past, because pretty much everything else works very well for me in her stories. I admit I would get really excited as I listened to some parts. The action was great in this book, so was the interaction between the characters, romantic and otherwise. The parts where Kane helps Rose have the baby and takes care of her just turned me into a molten pile of goo. When he cries as he holds the baby.... I was sighing like crazy. That's how I roll!

The book reminded me how excited I am for Javier and Rhianna's story. I hope that Ms. Feehan is working on it even as I write this review. I adore this series so much, and I will always snap these books up as soon as they come out. Even a less than satisfactory narrator can't ruin them for me.

Audiobook Rating: 4.25/5.00 stars My advice is to read these books first. Don't do the audiobook. You will think they are totally cheesy and that is so not the case when reading them.
Book love rating: 5/5 stars

Original Review Below:
************************************************************************

Oh, dear! My jones for the GhostWalkers is much, much worse after this book. I love how each of these books is different. It makes sense, since people are unique, and therefore, each relationship would have different nuances to it. However, you would think when it comes to military men and the women they love, there would be a sameness to these books. To me, there wasn't. Each couple stands out differently to me. I had really high expectations for Kane and Rose's story. It's such an intriguing idea, since Kane and Rose were paired in "Mad Scientist" Whitney's GhostWalkers breeding program, and last we heard, Rose was pregnant and on the run. Poor Kane was clearly tortured about his part in that situation. I knew there was going to be some built in angst and tension. I loved the execution here. Instead of Kane and Rose being adversaries, at each others' throats, they were a united team. Pretty much from the beginning, it was clear they would stay together, come hell or high water; the problem was getting through a sea of adversaries to find their safe place together. But Kane knew something that Rose didn't. He had a team of men and women who would die to protect them and keep their child safe.

If you are a fan of pregnancy and baby storylines in romance, you will love this book. I certainly did. I especially loved how Ms. Feehan still managed to write a fantastic action-adventure story, but incorporate the heart-melting moments of mother, father, and child bonding. Kane is such a good daddy. He even delivered his child, even though he felt that being a rough soldier with no idea about parenting made him the least likely candidate for the job. All those bonding moments between Rose and Kane, Kane and the baby, and Rose and the baby, and the three of them, made this book for me. I loved Kane's discussions with his baby, regarding being a good soldier and taking out enemies, and how great Mommy was! Okay, this is probably not going to work for readers who don't like the whole happy family vibe. Kane and Rose and their child form a beautiful family, and it's not even in the traditional way that sometimes gets shoved down our throats by the conservative voice of the media.

I loved how Kane and Rose made sense together. It was great how their pairing turned out well for both of them. In a sick and twisted way, that Whitney is quite the matchmaker. He might have paired the GW couples for his own agenda, but the results turned out fantastic, nine times in a row. They had an intimacy that wasn't just about physical attraction. Kane is a very caring, gentle, loving man. He doesn't see himself that way, but I was glad that Rose saw that in him every early on, and it turned out that she choose him as her breeding partner for that reason, along with his formidable warrior prowess. They are both so loveable, and multi-layered people. Rose is totally kick-butt, but sweet at the same time. She might be pint-sized, but she is an incredible warrior in her own right. She totally earned my respect in how she handled herself in numerous dangerous situations her and Kane found themselves in.

As always, Ms. Feehan delivered high-octane, fantastic action sequences. I loved those parts of the book just as much as the romance and the family moments. Kane and Rose have more enemies than they can count on one hand. For those who have an interest in the escalating situation with the Mexican drug cartels, I think Ms. Feehan did a great job of integrating that into this story. I wish there were really GWs who could deal with those cartels and teach them what it feels like to deal with someone who won't stand for their bullying and terrorist tactics.

Of course, I was sold on the GhostWalkers books even after Shadow Game, but I was a little apprehensive when the story seguewayed over to a new team. However, I am eating my words. I love the Urban Warfare team. In a way, they are even more bad@$$, because they do their magic in environments that are fraught with obstacles. I am already loving the members of this team! Mack wasn't quite as abrasive in this book, and Javier really gets the spotlight. I am glad that we get to see Rhianna more in this book, and I am telling you, Javier and Rhianna's book is going to be smoking hot. I can already see the formidable chemistry between this pair.

I freaking love this series, and this book has made me love it even more. I was sad when I finished Ruthless Game. I just wanted to keep reading. I even reread a little of it last night when I should have been going to sleep. There are a lot of sigh-worthy moments in this book, and the action is crazy in all the best ways. I loved how Ms. Feehan didn't create conflict by breaking up this wonderful couple, but made the major source of conflict about them adjusting to their family life in a very dangerous world, where the GhostWalkers will always have powerful enemies, but nothing that they can't handle. None of those forces can prevail against the teams and the families that these unique men and women have formed together, and the powerful bonds of friendship, love, and unity. I can't say anything more without spoiling, but Ms. Feehan could write these book well into the future, with all the fascinating layers and story threads that are unfolding with each book. Let's just say that the world better look out for the next generation of GhostWalkers!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ruthless Game.

Quotes Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Liked

Christine Feehan
“Rhianna flashed Rose a small smile.
"Sometimes I have a chip on my shoulder. You know, the woe-is-me-I'm-such-a-martyr complex.”

Christine Feehan
“They're spreading out. Look unaware and sweet and innocent.

It's a little hard to look innocent when I'm as big as a house.”

Christine Feehan
“Sebastian it is. You can tell me what a patron saint is later, since I have no knowledge of such things. Sebastian Kane.

"Sebastian Kane Cannon. You're going to marry me and use my last name, right?"

"Is that supposed to be a proposal?”

Christine Feehan
“We have to actually choose a name," Kane murmured above her head. "We can't keep calling him 'baby.' When he's fifteen he might resent it.”

Christine Feehan
“Of course I can do this. I'm pregnant, not brain-damaged. My condition doesn't change my personality.”

Christine Feehan
“By the time we have our fifth and sixth you'll be a pro." Kane teased. He nuzzled Sebastien head. " Do you hear that, son ? You're our experiment, so you'll have all sorts of excuses to do very naughty things.”

Christine Feehan
“[Kane to Rose] I'll never forget the way you looked walking toward me. I never thought that I'd have a woman like you in my life. It's all there etched in my brain. And now, the way the light pours over our hair, the way all that silk shines, so black it's nearly blue. The world disappears when I'm holding you.”

Christine Feehan
“Listen, Sebastian," he whispered. "That beautiful sound belongs to us for the rest for our lives. That's your mother. She's sunshine. No matter what happens in our lives, we have that.”

Christine Feehan
“On the other hand, she never looked as -big- as she did at that moment.
"What?" Rose demanded, glaring up at him.
The warning signal flashed bright red in Kane's head. Telling a woman she was as big as a beach ball wouldn't win any points. How did one describe how she looked? A basketball? Volleyball? He studied her furious little face. Yeah. He was in big trouble no matter what he said. Description was out of the question. He needed diplomacy, something that flew out of the window when he was near her and she said the words like contractions.”

Christine Feehan
“One thing about Kane - he never did anything by halves.”

Christine Feehan
“Are you going to win every argument?" He was pretty certain he'd asked her that once before. May be twice.
"Only the important ones.”

Christine Feehan
“You are such a chicken. Bock. Bock. Bock."
He refused to allow her very bad chicken impression to ruffle his feathers. He was above petty name-calling.”

“The GhostWalker Creed:
We are the GhostWalkers, we life in the shadows. The sea, the earth, and the air are our domain. No fallen comrade will be left behind. We are loyalty and honor bound. We are invisible to our enemies and we destroy them where we find them. We believe in justice and we protect our country and those unable to protect themselves. What goes unseen, unheard, and unknown are GhostWalkers. There is honor in the shadows and it is us. We move in complete silence whether in jungle or desert. We walk among our enemy unseen and unheard. Striking without sound and scatter to the winds before they have knowledge of our existance. We gather information and wait with endless patience for that perfect moment to deliver swift justice. We are both merciful and merciless. We are relentless and implacable in our resolve. We are the GhostWalkers and the night is ours.”

01/01/2011 page 1
0.0% "Second year in the row I start the New Year with the GhostWalkers. I love this tradition!" 10 comments
07/26/2012 page 19
5.0% "Enjoying every moment (even the third time around)."

Debbie Gonna be a long wait for this one.

Kaleigha Me, too. It is a great way to ring in the new year!

Kathrynn That's a great tradition!

~Megan~ Can't wait to read this one!!

Debbie I just bought it last week. Totally forgot it was even coming out! LOL!

message 7: by MelissaB (new) - added it

MelissaB Wow, great review Danielle! I really enjoy this series but I am behind on it, I need to catch up because this one sounds right up my alley.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, Melissa. Can't wait to see what you think of it!

message 9: by ATron (new) - added it

ATron Great review, Lady D.!! Just from reading your review, I'm gonna venture a theory that it sounds like Ms. Feehan styled Kane and Rose's relationship akin to Jack and Briony's... which is my favorite in this series... I can't wait to read this one now!!

Brenda Audiobooks Only Awesome review Danielle, I've been waiting for your review as I knew it would articulate everything I felt about this book so well.

As an aside, having had my children at home, I can tell you Christine didn't miss a beat with that aspect of the story. I felt like she was sitting by my bedside, taking notes as my first child came into the world, her description of the experience was so exact and perfect. Talk about having done her research, amazing!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, ATron. I think CF took it to a higher level than Conspiracy Game, because you actually got to see the baby and how the couple reacts to being a parent.

That is so kind of you to say, Tstbren! I felt that the motherhood/baby aspects were very authentic. I loved that about the story!

message 12: by KatLynne (new) - added it

KatLynne I have heard so many good things about this author and this series, but I have yet to read any of her books. After this wonderful review, I must start this series soon. I'm just not sure if I should start with her first book or begin with Street Game.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) KatLynne, CF is one of those love or hate writers. I hope you end up liking her. Although most GW fans don't love the first book as much, it's probably best to start at the beginning with Shadow Game. The story very much builds with each book. Although some fans argue you could start with Street Game.

message 14: by ATron (new) - added it

ATron I agree with Lady D. that it's best read from Shadow Game. I actually liked Shadow Game quite a bit. I enjoyed that we weren't given a heroine who was a "perfect" woman. And the hero cooks (bakes homemade cinnamon rolls, no less!) for her!! There is an underlying menace (antagonist) for the Ghostwalkers that's best understood starting from #1. If you enjoy Feehan's writing style, then book 1 is a solid read, IMO.

Fantastic, Lasy D. I can't wait!!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) ATron, I loved Shadow Game too. It was my first CF book, and now I am an obsessed fan of hers. In a little over a year, I've collected all of her books and read most of them. The GWs are my fave!

message 16: by KatLynne (new) - added it

KatLynne Thanks y'all. Gonna start with Shadow Game. Now just gotta decide my Kindle or my Sony Touch..LOL

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Anxiously waiting for your review, KatLynne.

message 18: by ATron (new) - added it

ATron Ahhh, KatLynne... Decisions, decisions! ;)

Shawna Awesome review, Danielle! This sounds great! I'm finally to Murder Game, #7, which I know is one of your favorites, so only a couple of more to read to be caught up.

Amanda I'm reading this next after Beyond the Highland Mist - and after reading your review I'm even more excited! I love love love the GhostWalkers!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, Shawna and Amanda.

Shawna, how are you liking Murder Game and "Crazy Kadan"?

Amanda, it's nice to know someone is as excited about the GWs as I am. I feel like a freak sometimes!

Yz the Whyz Love the review. Now, I'm excited to read my copy.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, Yz. Looking for your review!

Shawna Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Shawna, how are you liking Murder Game and "Crazy Kadan"?"

I haven't started it yet, but I hope to read it soon.

Amanda @ Shawna - I'll be interested in what you think of Murder Game - it's probably my favorite of the series. I adore Kadan!

@ Danielle - you are not alone! I almost feel like the series just keeps getting better, whereas most other series start to lose steam way before book 9. I feel like you can never really tell what will happen next.

message 26: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina "In a sick and twisted way, that Whitney is quite the matchmaker."

You can say that again, Danielle. Fantastic review! Is it July 1st yet? (You're going to be sick hearing that question over and over again, LOL.)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Dina, it will go by fast. Time always does.

Amanda, I agree that this series gets better and better!

Shawna, can't wait to read your review of Murder Game and to see if you like Kadan or not. :)

message 28: by MelissaB (new) - added it

MelissaB I really liked Murder Game too!

message 29: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Love the Game series as well. In fact, I love all of Ms. Feehan's series. She is amazing!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I feel the same way, Anna.

Melissa, there is something about Tansy and Kadan's book. even if Kadan is really bossy!

message 31: by Brylit (new)

Brylit Now this is one I will try to find and read. This will be my first forage into Feehan, and it just might stimulate my afinity for another of your favs.
Brylit

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Brylit, you can read my copy. You probably want to start with Shadow Game though, which I have given you a copy of. :)

message 33: by Brylit (new)

Brylit Thanks again, so looking forward to some more good reads. :) Brylit

message 36: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna I really enjoy listening to the audio version of books I have already read. In fact I just listened to Shadow Game and am inspired to read / listen to the entire Game series again!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Anna, I don't like the narrator's voice much, but I love the GhostWalkers, so it's awesome to hear them on audiobook.

message 38: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna I can definitely see why there are fan clubs for certain narrators. I've listened to all the Harry Potter novels and their narrator, Jim Dale, is excellent. I also love Davina Porter who has narrated most of Diana Gabaldon's work. Most recently I have listened to all 5 of the Song of Ice and Fire novels by George R. R. Martin. Roy Dotrice narrated all of those except A Feast for Crows. He is excellent as well. I have no particular love or dislike for the narrator of the Game series--he's in the 2 star range for me--just okay!

message 39: by Brylit (new)

Brylit LD and Anna I am so glad to hear that Gabaldon and GRR
Martin's works are now on audiobook format. It is a wonderful thing to know of and it will save me a great deal of time and effort, even though I always have loved the experience of the printed word. My sight is not what it once was and the days are fleeing so quickly in the time devoted to Bible Study. Knowing this makes it easy for me to close my eyes and listen to the stories unfold. Yeah!! :0 Brylit

message 40: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Oh I can totally relate, Brylit! I use a lot of time around the house--doing laundry, dishes, cooking-- to read via my audiobooks. I even listen on my iPod while weeding & watering outside.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I listen to audiobooks on my commute to and from work. They have really diminished the fatigue associated with the drive. I also listen a bit before bed, but I have to keep rewinding where I fell asleep. I could imagine that ASOIAF and Harry Potter, and Outlander are great on audiobook.

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Gosh, I love Kane and Rose's story! *sigh*

Is it weird listening to the sex scenes?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) At first it was really weird. They made me blush. Now I'm more used to it. I just have to remember to turn it down when I go through a drive through or first get in my car. :)

message 44: by MelissaB (new) - added it

MelissaB I listened to the Highlander series at work and I would look around to make sure no one was close when I was listening to the love scenes. I was also terrified I would accidentally knock out my earphones and people might hear it! That would have been embarrassing.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Yeah, I did have one time when the narrator said the 'f' word really loud, and I looked around embarrassed.

message 46: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna I am laughing reading your comments, but I agree 100%! My husband and I like to listen to audiobooks when we are on road trips but I can't even listen to steamy love scenes with him and we've been married 35 years! It's too embarrassing!

message 47: by L-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

L-D I'll have to check these out

message 49: by L-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

L-D wow - just clicked over to her. she has a lot of books. how is her other stuff?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I am a big fan, but some readers find her too wordy, and she has a tendency to use some of the same words a lot in her stories.

I think the GhostWalker books are her best, although I have read a lot of her books and I think they are all good to varying degrees.

« previous 1