Kathy 's Reviews > Moloka'i

Moloka'i by Alan Brennert

971945
There's nothing quite like finishing a book and knowing that you now have a favorite to add to your list of favorite reads. While the story was as compelling a one as I've read, it was a learning novel for me, too. The absorption of Hawaii by the United States, the disease of leprosy or Hansen's disease, the leper colony of Kalaupapa on the island of Molokai (heck, the island itself), the island of Maui, early aviation. All of these subjects and more were presented in an amazing story by Brennert, whose writing skills were able to capture the history, the emotion, and the humanity of the many years covered. Heartbreaking and uplifting, following the story of Rachel Kalama from when she was sent away to Kalaupapa at the age of 7 into adulthood, was watching a journey of strength and bravery few of us are ever called upon to muster. I am very much looking forward to reading Brennert's Honolulu. A new favorite book and a new favorite author is quite a catch in reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moloka'i.

07/14/2010 page 202
52.0% "Fascinating!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Have you read Honolulu by the same author? One of my book clubs just read it and we all enjoyed it.

Kathy No, isn't it the sequel to this one?

Carol I thought this book was great. I am trying to track down a used copy of Honolulu

Kathy Carol, I have Honolulu waiting on my shelf. I now know it's not a sequel but a stand-alone. So far, Molokai is really good.

Carol Keep me informed as to what you think about Molokai.

Kathy Carol, I'm finding it fascinating, halfway through it.

Carol I found it one of the better books I have read this year. So rich in Hawaiian culture and beliefs.

Kathy I should finish it tonight or tomorrow, Carol. I agree with you about the Hawaiian culture and beliefs. I'm going to read Honolulu very soon. I have a book that I'm reading next already, but I may read Honolulu after that. Let me know when you find a copy.

Carol I am going to pick Honolulu up tomorrow at B&N. ,but I won't start it until I finish The book on Michelangelo. I will let you know when I start it. ok.

Kathy Sounds good, Carol. I really want to read it very soon, too.

message 11: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan I've been dying to read this book. I wish my book club will pick it. It's so hard for me to fit books into my allotted reading time.

Carol I will probably start it sometime next week ok. Lisa you can join in if you like.

message 13: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan Carol (Kitty) wrote: "I will probably start it sometime next week ok. Lisa you can join in if you like."

Thanks, Carol. I appreciate it, but I'm too overbooked to read it now. Unfortunately.

Carol No problem.