Sara Henry's Reviews > Please Ignore Vera Dietz

Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King

Jun 02, 10

Read in May, 2010 — I own a copy

This book I had to read in chunks, because it pulled at me in a way I could handle only with a break in between. PLEASE IGNORE VERA DIETZ made me think vaguely of every coming-of-age and enduring-loss book that has grabbed me of late: Jay Asher's THIRTEEN REASONS WHY and Alice Sebold's LOVELY BONES and maybe a bit of John Green's LOOKING FOR ALASKA, with smatterings of the yearning and angst and not-fitting-in-ness that made S.E. Hinton's books speak to people. ...But written in a voice that's like no other.

This is being marketed as YA, but ignore that. This is a book for anyone who was ever 17 or 18 and didn't really fit in anywhere. It's a book for anyone who has loved with all their being and watched the person become someone they can't be with, and has endured the pain of being shut out. It's a book for anyone who's had a parent who had no idea what they were about or who abandoned them or who was never quite there in the first place.

And it's a book for anyone who wants to believe we can pretty much survive whatever life passes to us and that we can all find our place in the world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Please Ignore Vera Dietz.