Catherine's Reviews > Mark of the Demon

Mark of the Demon by Diana Rowland

Jun 03, 10

bookshelves: demons, fantasy-paranormal-sci-fi, serial-killer, series, crime-police-mystery-private-invest, read-2010
Read on May 31, 2010 — I own a copy

This book started out a little slow for me, but once I got into it I couldn't put it down.

I really liked the fact that Kara is just a regular girl (who's also a summoner, of course) who gets caught up in a crazy situation. Her normalness is one of the reasons you can't help but root for her. She's a cop, but she's not automatically a bad ass. She has to work out to battle the stomach bulge like most everybody else. She has a weakness for chocolate donuts and she doesn't have the best social life. She's just doing her best to catch criminals while trying to be fair.

I found the demon lord, Rhyzkahl, to be an interesting character. I liked that the author made him dangerous and kept him dangerous. The author reminds us right alongside Kara that he'll make you regret it if you try to use him. He's not human and he lives by a whole different set of rules. He kind of reminded me of Raphael in Angels' Blood. He's not some one to toy with. I'm interested in seeing more of him in the next book. He won some cool points for what he did for Kara at the end of the book.

I liked all the time spent on describing the different levels of demons and the difficulty summoning them. I appreciated that those facts seemed to get as much attention as the police facts. I found the explanation of the origins to be interesting. They're not demons in the sense of heaven and hell. They're from another world entirely.

The sex scene in the beginning didn't really seem to fit with the rest of the story. It was kind of jarring. Kara seemed like an intelligent girl, but her actions didn't really fit with what I learned of her personality. She's scared for her life (with good reason) but suddenly that doesn't matter because she's turned on and ready to do it? It didn't seem like a very smooth transition from in mortal peril to hot sex.

I thought the police stuff was very well done. I, of course, speak from the position of no personal knowledge of that sort of thing, but it seemed authentic. The crime scene and autopsy descriptions were interesting. I feared that I might become bored by the surplus of details about it, but the author kept me engaged. The one thing that I found really odd about the investigation had to do with the man who had a connection to the victims of the Symbol Man. Shouldn't she (as a well trained cop) have considered him a suspect long before she did?

I liked that I didn't guess who the Symbol Man was. I enjoyed being surprised by it right alongside Kara. I found her relationship with Agent Ryan Kristoff a little odd. I didn't find him very interesting or compelling, but I thought it was really weird that Kara was totally fine with him basically turning into her roommate. You don't know this guy from Adam, why are you so accepting of him? Because I found him bland and a little irritating I hope that she doesn't get involved with him. I guess I'll find out as I read more of the series.

I'm looking forward to reading more by this author and thought this was a great start to a new series.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mark of the Demon.

message 1: by new_user (new) - added it

new_user Like Raphael, you say? Hmmm... high praise!

Catherine Well, not exactly like Raphael because we don't get to know him as well. He reminds me of him in the dark and dangerous way. He comes off as very scary at times, but it all tracks with the explanations of how demons are. I liked him and wish I got to see more of him.

message 3: by new_user (new) - added it

new_user Hmm, scary, dark and dangerous. That all sounds good, but a friend quoted some of the dialogue and it sounded a little too typical romance, "I haven't met anyone like you in centuries," etc.

Catherine Well I thought their first meeting was awkward all around. Everything about it felt forced. The dialogue, the sex, etc.

At times there were some corny lines, but I didn't feel that it was too overwhelming. I'll do some quotes for you.

He lowered his head to nuzzle the side of my neck and I smiled, leaning back into him and holding his arms tighter around me. "All yours, dearest," he murmered. "Call me to you, and I will give it all to you."
"All of what? This?"
His hands slid over my breasts, teasing, caressing. I dropped my head back against him and gave a languorous sigh. "This world. Your world. All worlds," he breathed. "Call me to you."

He gave a slight nod. "As I said: You interest me. I have not encountered another like you in centuries. And the brief time we had together was... enjoyable."

"You desire a partner-one with whom you can share your hopes, dreams, desires, and fears. Someone with whom you can face the trials of existence and make plans for the future."
I stared at him in surprise. Wow. He got it.
"I cannot be that person for you," he continued before I could speak. "But would you deny yourself the single course placed before you simply because you cannot have the entire banquet?"

"Did you not?" he repeated, voice low and just as threatening. "You think to bid me here, under your terms, thinking to have the advantage of me." He closed the distance between us in a move that was too fast for my eyes to follow, then seized me by the throat and pressed me back against the headboard. I gave a strangled cry and clutched at the hand holding me, but his grip on me was like iron.

There's some quotes. They're better in context of course... See if the dialogue bothers you or not.

message 5: by new_user (new) - added it

new_user Thanks, Catherine! Those are very helpful. To be honest, I think the last quote is the most interesting. The other ones make him seem like a fantasy come to life, and I kind of have a strong dislike for the female-wish-fulfillment UF. I think I'll pass on this one for now.

Catherine Truthfully in the first couple he's trying to manipulate her. I think the last quote is when we actually get a glimpse of the real him. He spends most of the book trying to seduce her into calling him to fulfill his own ends. He acts in a manner to make her like him until she ends up pissing him off. From then on his manner is much different.

Catherine By the way, the encounter where he finally reveals his true manner doesn't happen until page 289 and it's only a 370 page book. So... most of the book you'll be treated to that fantasy come to life attitude.

message 8: by new_user (new) - added it

new_user Really? Hmmmm, I didn't know that. That's very interesting. Maybe I'll check this out after all. A good manipulation adds some spice to the proceedings, LOL.

Catherine I look forward to seeing what you think of it.

I think reading the next book will confirm whether or not I like his character. If he sticks to the darker version of him I'll like him more. The watered down seducer didn't do as much for me.

message 10: by new_user (new) - added it

new_user I heartily agree, LOL!