Tara's Reviews > The Dark Tide

The Dark Tide by Josh Lanyon

May 31, 2010

bookshelves: m-m, read-in-2011, mystery-suspense, romance-contemporary
Read from August 05 to 06, 2011

When a series is this good you want it to end before it starts to suck and you want it to continue forever because you love it. This is the 5th story in the Adrien English series and finally I felt like the things that needed to be said were said, at least between Adrien & Jake. I see such potential for stories about them, and maybe that's the way it should be left. However, after a dedicated search I found a post from Josh Lanyon himself that says that maybe, tentatively and Adrien with an "e" lovers shouldn't get our hopes up too much, but there is a possibility that he will write a story of these two in 2012 set around Christmas.

In this book, for once, Adrien isn't a murder suspect. However a body is unearthed in the upper floor of the part of the building he is renovating. It is the body of a man who mysteriously disappeared in 1959. Adrien, who is recovering from surgery, decides to solve the case with a little help from newly licensed PI Jake. Meanwhile it seems that all three former loves of Adrien are trying to get themselves back in the picture- Mel, his first love, Guy his last lover, and Jake. (view spoiler) Also Natalie is still making terrible choices in men, the bookstaore can't get good help from the agencies, and Angus is back.

Okay, so clearly this book was great, which wasn't a huge surprise since I really do enjoy Josh Lanyon's writing, a fact that when I'm not reading his stories I seem to forget. He is a mystery writer, and a good one at that. So many mystery stories I have read are mostly a joke. You know who the bad guy is the second he's introduced even if you don't know what he's going to do. Not Josh Lanyon. Add to that the fact that the romance is so present throughout without being annoying, and in this book Adrien's love life was even a mystery. I was worried through the entire book about what his decision would be, and whether Guy, Mel or Jake would be standing in the end, or if there would be a whole new guy that I didn't know. I wondered what would become of him, the store, his life in general, and especially his love life. I didn't get all the answers exactly, but I'm satisfied, for now, although I still hope to read more about Adrien and his wacky life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Tide.