Jasmin's Reviews > Jemima J

Jemima J by Jane Green

Jun 01, 10

bookshelves: chick-lit, romance, fiction, one-star, humor, contemporary, contemporary-romance, reviewed-by-me
Recommended for: Honestly, no one
Read from June 01 to 02, 2010

Jemima J: A Novel About Ugly Ducklings and Swans by Jane Green is an honestly terribly written book.

There were so many shifts of voices/persons. One minute, it's Jemima's point of view, suddenly Jemima becomes a she. Next there's like this invisible person lurking around and telling us what the others are doing behind each others' backs. I'm sure Jane Green had a good intention in writing some parts where she's like actually having a conversation with the reader, but I don't think it works on books. Yes it works on tv, and Jane Green definitely did not pull it off. It was irritating at most. And at least she has to be consistent.

At first, I thought I would really like this book. I liked the book when it was Jemima sharing how terrible life was to her. It's not that I'm feeding on her pain, but I could say that I could relate to her. However, somewhere, the book suddenly turned sour, just as how Jemima change from a swan to an ugly duckling (yes, swan to being pathetic, despite how lovely she looks and how many admiring glances she receives). She was kind, but she turned into a shallow creature who couldn't even recognize herself. And despite the drastic changes she did to herself, life still wasn't kind to her.

However, Jemima J did redeem herself to become a swan again.

But the book did not, in any way, redeem itself.

*I also advice anyone who wants to have drastic weight loss to NOT follow Jemima J's footsteps, because it was very unhealthy. I think this book must be banned from shelves, because to other readers, it might initiate their wrong practices in dieting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jemima J.

05/31/2010 "I feel so like Jemima, I could have written this book :|"
06/01/2010 page 258
69.17% "this had a great start, but somewhere it turned sour."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (new) - rated it 1 star

Erin I tried reading this book a few years ago and couldn't get past the first 30 pages or so. Awful. I've listened to a couple of her books on audiobook, and they can be humorous, but this was just bad.

Jasmin yes erin, it was hard to read. though my curiosity had the best of me. i wanted to know what would happen to jemima. but her writing is terrible. verry verrrry hard to finish.