Bill's Reviews > The Sandman, Vol. 10: The Wake

The Sandman, Vol. 10 by Neil Gaiman

1302060
May 31, 2010

Read on June 21, 2010

My second venture into the world of the graphic novel has been even more rewarding than my first. Although I've given most of these volumes a rating of 4 stars, in retrospect, I should really give the entire work a solid 5, for it is a truly amazing piece of literature. So many mythologies and legends are woven into this incredible tale, side-by-side with a few historical characters and events, and the predominant theme regarding the importance of our dreams and their ability to shape and inform our reality is really both disquieting and strangely comforting at the same time. Each story in this gigantic series is masterfully crafted, and while it's a bit of a challenge to single out any as "favorites," I'd have to say I was particularly touched by volume 5, A Game of You and volume 7, Brief Lives. Also especially compelling for me were volume 2, The Doll's House, volume 3, Dream Country, volume 8, World's End, and the beautiful conclusion, volume 10, The Wake. Also high on my list, volume 9, The Kindly Ones, which I spent Father's Day devouring. So yeah, the whole series has pretty much left its mark on me. I don't think I can ever forget the fascinating and haunting character of Morpheus, who is so beautifully drawn, both literally in images and emotionally in words, whose outlook seems to echo again and again the phrase I have taken as my personal mantra... it is what it is. I very highly recommend this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sandman, Vol. 10.