Jeremy's Reviews > The Sword of Shannara Trilogy

Jun 02, 2011

it was ok
Read in June, 2011

*Spoiler Alert*
So I re-read this trilogy recently and have to say I was very disappointed in this trilogy. It seemed like when I had read it years ago it was better, however my tastes may have improved since then. Why was I disappointed with this trilogy? There are a number of reasons. The premise is great, LoTR in the future? Give me more! Unfortunately the author's writing style kills the trilogy, and after you've read the first book, the other two are the same. Let me summarize the whole trilogy in one paragraph:

Good guy is living his (or her) life happily with nothing unexpected happening (picture Bilbo). Good guy's peaceful life is interrupted by a wizard bringing news that the world will end unless Good guy travels to Bad guy's place and destroys something. Good guy can't believe it, but embarks upon the quest. During the journey to Bad guy's place, he finds himself in a desperate situation where escape from Bad guy's minions seems unlikely and death is near. However Good guy is unexpectedly rescued by another good guy (or girl). Good guy continues on the journey, still doubting how successful he'll be. Good guy finally makes it to the end, is overcome by self-doubt, and then suddenly finds the inner strength needed to defeat Bad guy. Lather, rinse, and repeat two more times. The end.

The locations these events take place are slightly different in every book, and one gains a glimpse (albeit a very tiny one) into the world these characters live in. These books would be 2/3 to one-half the size they are now if all the emotional fluff and self-doubt were cut out.

Good premise Mr. Brooks (and good writing did eventually follow as a result of this trilogy) ... however, terrible execution.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sword of Shannara Trilogy.