xbmbgrl's Reviews > New Leather

New Leather by Debra Varva

Mar 20, 2011

It’s nice when you start a new BDSM book by an author you have never read before and find that the acknowledgments include a real BDSM group. It implies that the author did some of her own research and wanted to get to the heart of the story in a realistic manner. It seems like too often lately we get books with these types of plots that are based on reading other erotic D/s books.

I started the book off with a hopeful heart and it didn’t disappoint even though it didn’t give me as much internal self actualization as I would have liked from the main characters.

Carl starts off as a regular Joe with some standard perceptions of BDSM. He says this in the first page:

“Bondage was not his thing. He had no need to tie anyone up or beat the crap out of him to call it sexy. The reverse was also true ~ no one was doing that to him either.”

A few pages in he’s become interested in a D/s couple he has observed at the bookstore and his ease dropping leads him to a potential human interest story. Determined, he strikes out to find out more to write a series of articles.

As he steps into the lifestyle it doesn’t take long for him to “get it” in ways he never thought he would. James tries to bring him along slowly into the idea of Romantic Domination. Newbie that he is, and being rushed into the scene, Carl finds his manly identity challenged when he fails to find his footing in some of the pain related scenes that he and James play. This pushes both he and James to make some drastically bad decisions.

The book suffered for its length. More time was necessary to really grasp the metamorphosis that both Carl as a newly minted sub and James as a determined Dom with little experience in teaching an initiate go through. I wanted more time in both their heads.

The ending came too quickly. It seemed rushed with Carl going from the attitude above to a fully devoted submissive within a matter of 12 to 14 total days together spread out over 6 weeks. Astutely, Carl mentions while he is writing his articles how hard it would be to get it right if he wasn’t actually living it, just observing. I wonder how true that came to be for this author since I feel like we missed some key steps in Carl’s growth and acceptance of the serenity he found in his submission.

I hope that we get a chance to revisit them down the road to see how they turned out. The side characters seem to support more story telling and I hope that was the intent.

4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read New Leather.