Joy's Reviews > The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide

The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide by Douglas Adams

Apr 27, 15

bookshelves: fiction-fantasy-scifi
Read from June 02 to 08, 2010 — I own a copy

Since this is an anthology of all the Hitchhiker's Guide books, I'll take them one at a time.

Douglas Adams has this randomness to his writing. He'll start a chapter about something completely different than what the previous chapter ended on and then by the end of the chapter or possibly several chapters later, it will all suddenly make sense. And stuff mentioned in passing suddenly becomes important.

I finally picked this book back up because I couldn't decide what to read and I saw this big friendly blue book sitting on my shelf. All it needs on the front cover is "Don't Panic."

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

We are introduced to a man named Arthur Dent who is upset because his house has been scheduled for demolition to make way for a new highway. In a bar, he meets up with Ford Prefect who is actually an alien from the vicinity of Betelgeuse and a researcher for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Earth has also been scheduled for demolition but Ford and Arthur manage to hitchhike their way off the planet just in time. After being discovered and sucked out an airlock, they are picked up with one second to spare by "Heart of Gold," a spaceship with an improbability drive that has been stolen by Galactic President Zaphod Beeblebrox and his girlfriend Trillian. The find themselves at the planet Magrathea, to find out that Earth was really a supercomputer commissioned to find the question to the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything that the computer Deep Thought took 7 million years to find which was "42" and the mice are not happy about it's demolition...

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Zaphod, Ford, Arthur and Trillian manage to escape intact only to be attacked by the Vogons and Zaphod suddenly disappears, to find himself on at the building that houses the offices for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. And then they are all transported to the "Restaurant at the End of the Universe" where you can watch the universe explode while you eat.

Life, the Universe and Everything

Ford and Arthur are trapped on prehistoric earth after the last book, when suddenly they find themselves at the estate of Lord Cricket and are trying to fight some aliens call the Krikkets who are trying to take over the universe.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Arthur and Ford find they are back on earth except that earth was destroyed.

At this point, I decided to stop reading. The books are getting more and more trippy as I go along. So, I'm giving the anthology two stars. The original Hitchikers is definitely worth the read but they kind of go downhill from there. Maybe some day I'll come back and finish.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide.