Rebecca's Reviews > This Book Is Overdue!: How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All

This Book Is Overdue! by Marilyn Johnson

May 31, 10

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read in May, 2010

This book wasn't quite what I had expected, which was anecdotes about librarians and libraries. It was much more of a professional book, which means I can't recommend it to non-librarians because a lot of it would be either incomprehensible to them or boring. Professional books also always make me feel completely inadequate and that I'm not doing all the wonderful things I should be doing to be a good librarian, so I can't really say I enjoy them--does anyone enjoy reading something that makes you feel guilty?

Anyway, the first two chapters were heavy-duty professional reading, so I almost gave up (lots of things I already knew and felt guilty about), but when they got into the quirkier realms of libraries it got more interesting--librarians in Second Life, book drill teams, etc. Although I think they spent too much time on the Second Life thing, I can see why they did it; it's kind of fascinating, though in a way that didn't at all make me want to join Second Life--I spend too much time on the computer as it is!

Overall, I did enjoy the book, though I think its audience will be limited to library and information professionals.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Book Is Overdue!.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allison (new) - added it

Allison I haven't read this book yet - I just added it to my "to-read" shelf - but I'm anticipating having a very similar response to it. Mostly, I imagine that it will make me feel guilty/inadequate for not wanting to be a different kind of librarian. I'm actually just starting my MLS and I want to be a children's/YA librarian, so it was kind of refreshing for me to find your review and know that there's someone else out there in the profession who seems to think like I do. Just thought I'd say hi :)

Rebecca Glad you liked the review, and maybe you can just skip straight to the fun parts and not the make-you-guilty parts. Good for you for wanting to do Childrens/YA--go for it! They get to do a lot of the fun stuff. I'm a school librarian, so I do everything. Or should, anyway. :-)