Laura the Highland Hussy's Reviews > The Scent of Shadows

2043222
Jul 11, 11

bookshelves: to-read
Read from May 01 to 03, 2011

I am officially done with this book. BUT I am not rating it or adding it to my d-n-f shelf because I couldn't make it past page 30. I tried, I really tried.

Maybe when I'm in the mood for a dark and gritty UF I'll come back to it-that's the advantage of books-they're always there waiting for me.

The premise sounds super interesting, and the fact that it takes place in my hometown is awesome! But I'm shelving it for a while, and I will come back to it, just for now, I'm moving on.

(can you tell I feel guilty when I dnf a book? lol)
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scent of Shadows.

05/01/2011 page 10
2.0% "page 10 and I'm ready to dnf. This book had better pick up. (" 4 comments
05/02/2011 page 23
5.0% "I'm sick of the desert metaphors: "I had soaked up his instruction like a desert rose watered after a scorching summer drought." it's the 3rd or 4th desert rose simile or metaphor. ugh." 13 comments

message 1: by Ren (new) - added it

Ren To be honest, I feel guilty too when I can't finish reading a book :(

message 2: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH Don't feel guilty that you dnf'd this book. It did not meet up to your expectations or your taste. It was not an easy book to read and there was a lot of information thrown at you. Differing opinions is what makes this site so interesting.

There was a short story based on this series in one of the anthologies. I remember reading it and liking the concept and maybe that's why I was able to finish this book - if I find out which anthology, I'll add it to the comments.