Lee's Reviews > Self-Made Man: One Woman's Journey Into Manhood and Back Again

Aug 22, 10

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction, gender
Read in July, 2010

Half ethnography, half an examination of the male psyche, I found myself going back and forth between pouring over Vincent's findings and being disturbed by her investigative methods. On one hand, she paints a vivid picture of men that is in many ways contrary to the common societal notions of manhood (i.e. that they are insecure, exhausted by expectations, and deeply connected to their fathers). On the other hand, however, she did deceive many people in the course of the investigation, and at times she seems a bit callous on the point, which bothered me. Nonetheless, I walked away from the book questioning my own biases about maleness, and for that I would recommend it to others interested in looking at the other side of the gender debate.

I also find it fascinating that more men readers on Goodreads found this book favorable than female readers. Perhaps Vincent was after something?

As an aside, I read this for a book club, and I think it was an excellent choice. There is a lot to discuss here.

Doorways:
60% Character, 20% Story, 15% Setting, 5% Language

Keywords:
gender, masculinity/femininity, undercover journalism, ethnography, identity, male relations
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Self-Made Man.