Mike's Reviews > A Beautiful Blue Death

2201886
May 31, 2010

Recommended for: Anyone
Read from May 24 to 26, 2010 , read count: 1

I picked this up after inadvertently reading the third book (The Fleet Street Murders) in the series. I liked that enough to see if the series started out well or it had developed into something during the previous two books.

I'm happy to say that the author began with a good footing and that all three books are pretty decent reads. To be fair, I'd probably give this more of a 3.75 that a full-blown 4, but c'est la vie.

It is definitely a detective story but like the other two novels the actual crime and it's solution while central to the book competes with at least one other major plot line and a few sub-plots. It's probably closer to how we really combine our lives day in and day out, but if you are looking for a book that revolves around sleuthing and crime to almost the exclusion of all else (e.g. Conan Doyle's tales of Homes and Watson), then you may not enjoy this as much as I.

But if you take a miss on this author, you will be missing out on a good cast of characters and writing. So, grab a copy and find out for yourself why four out of five dentists agree, Charles Finch has a good series going.

PS Since I read book #3 before 1 & 2 there are some plot twists that you know are coming and it does detract from the pleasure inherent in each book. So start with A Beautiful Blue Death and go from there --- even if either of the other two books is available to you sooner.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Beautiful Blue Death.