Reanne's Reviews > The Girls from the Revolutionary Cantina: A Novel

The Girls from the Revolutionary Cantina by Mike Padilla

Jul 18, 10

bookshelves: first-reads
Read in July, 2010

I received this book in a GoodReads giveaway.

This light read follows a group of Latina women and their pursuit of jobs, men and overall happiness.

The Pros: The Spanish dialogue. It's peppered with words that most of us know and I found it endearing and funny.

The character Marta: Marta is divorced, chubby, and she talks dirty. One of my favorite lines in the book was her perspective on movies and how deaths by cancer in them were good. I have a great visual on her face, body and personality.

The Cons: The ending. We saw much of this from the very beginning. I know click flicks and chick lit is predictable in parts but you know...

The other characters: Who has friends like these? Weird, horrible friends. In my dating days, once a friend had so much as kissed a guy he was off-limits.

The verdict: An easy read with a different voice for fans of Sex and the City who will settle for less sizzle and spark in the imitation version. Don't pay more than $3 for this unless you're in an airport.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girls from the Revolutionary Cantina.