Tracy's Reviews > The Shelters of Stone

The Shelters of Stone by Jean M. Auel

Jan 08, 11

bookshelves: currently-reading

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shelters of Stone.

03/15/2011 page 258
34.0% "I'm stalled on this book. There are some interesting issues being set up among the characters, but it's taking forever to get to anything. There is A LOT of explaining about Ayla's life that is totally unnecessary. I mean I have read all the books. I don't need to have every detail explained again. Auel can be such a brilliant writer. It puzzles me why she would think readers need so many review sessions."

message 1: by J. (new)

J. Keck I find your current thoughts about Auel's most recent book both interesting and informative. Since I am writing the sequel to The Big House: Story of a Southern Family, I am appreciative of your comments about the distraction and annoyance for the reader when there is too much rehashing of detail from an earlier book(s). Thank you, J.

message 2: by Tracy (new) - added it

Tracy Hi J. I really admire the Auel's writing but as I said I thought the back story elements were really bungled in this one. Right in the middle of an exciting part it halted and went into a recap of something from 2 novels earlier. It was very jarring and it was not even necessary. I wonder if an editor made her add it. I'm glad my comment was helpful to you. Personally when it comes to back story I say add it in small doses as necessary.