Will Byrnes's Reviews > Insight Guides: Alaska

Insight Guides by Sian Lezard

May 31, 10

bookshelves: travel, non-fiction, alaska
Read in April, 2010

This is a rich source of information for anyone planning a visit to our largest state. It is visually stunning, printed on high quality paper, with a generous quantity of photographs and maps. For those with minimal patience, there is even a handy best-of section at the front. It offers a comprehensive range of options for not only the cruise traveler but for those who are into more challenging explorations. The wife and I are planning a 2011 journey north and this was our first stop. Planning our trips is half the fun and reading this book was very exciting, offering useful tips, plenty of web links, phone numbers and a wealth of ideas. No one book is likely sufficient for planning a trip to such a vast place, but the Insight Guide was a wonderful introduction. Highly recommended. One caveat, and this may be a hazard common to the genre, there is a lot of what looks like direct flogging for particular vendors. Hard to tell if all recommendations are straight up, or may have been influenced.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insight Guides.