Erica's Reviews > Mister Pip

Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones

201696
Dec 16, 07

bookshelves: fall2007
Recommended for: people on an island with nothing else to read
Read in December, 2007

This book was another recommendation from Josey.

I read the first 20 pages. ZZZZ.
Kept reading, by page 100 I was somewhat into it.
By page 200 I was losing interest.
By this morning, when I finished the last 5 pages, I was very disappointed.

Mister Pip is a novel about a man, Mr. Watts, who takes it upon himself to read/educate children on a war-ridden island. His first task is to read the children Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (which actually makes me want to read Dickens now, since I never was assigned his novels in high school). The setting of the book, war, paints a disturbing picture that the narrator, Matilda (one of the children), accepts as daily life.

Good: The first half of the story where Matilda recounts the love she developed for Great Expectation's main character, Pip, and where she describes the tension between her mother and Mr. Watts.

Bad: The last half of the story, which gets convuluded with graphic detail of murder and savagery from warriors. At this point, the pace gets weird, the novel loses its original "flow" and I am disappointed (or at least prepared for the next turn of events).

Overall Grade: 2/3.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mister Pip.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I found that the 2nd half of the story captured the true horrors of savage war. This was a turning point in the story; therefore the flow changed. I loved it =D. But, I agree it does take a while to get into.