Morgan F's Reviews > Claire de Lune

Claire de Lune by Christine   Johnson

Jun 18, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: pulse-it, young-adult, fantasy, werewolves, characters-i-wanna-shoot, its-a-girl, 2010, read-2010, debut, medium-sized, suckfest, e-book
Read from June 12 to 18, 2010

I wasn't expecting much from this book to begin with, so I can't consider myself disappointed.

Claire is having the best birthday of her life. Her pool party is off the chain (people still say that, right?) and Hottie Matthew is starting to show interest in plain old Claire. Emphasis on plain. But when the full moon surfaces, her mother tells her a dark secret, both her and Claire are werewolves. Now Claire life becomes a lot more complicated. Not only does she have to deal with all her bodily changes of becoming a furry beast, she has to hide her secret from everyone, including her best friend, Emily, and Hottie Matthew. But there is also a rouge werewolf on the loose, on that is killing humans and endangering the existance of Claire's pack. To make the plot even twistier, Hottie Matthew is also the son of some deranged scientist hellbent of capturing and "curing" werewolves.

Okay, okay. I know this is a fantasy book. I know it has very little basis in the real world. But I can't help but bring forth some logical impossibilities this book passes off. There will be some spoilers ahead, although I shall try to use hypothetical situations only.

Say everyone knows werewolves exist. Say everyone thinks werewolves are bad, without even one PETA activist to wave a mighty picket sign. Say there are entire government organizations dedicated to researching and controlling lycanthropes. But despite all this, people know nothing about werewolves, at all. They don't know, or suspect, that they are all female (one thing I did like about this book was all the werewolf girl-power), and don't know their habits or anything. So instead of, I don't know, researching and studying one of the few werewolves they manage to capture, they lock it up in a cage in some unguarded lab, until they can "cure" it. Now, does this make sense? What kind of respectable lab, holding some a valuable specimen, doesn't even have surveillance cameras and puts the key to the cage of this valuable specimen IN THE REFRIGERATOR!!!!!!

Oh, and say, you were a bloodthristy werewolf. You like sunflowers right? And after killing some poor dude, you get your picture taken with a sunflower blocking your face. Uh-oh. I would be careful now. Because some ditzy teenager will walk aimlessly into your house, see a sunflower (which could or could not be the same one), and when they later see the incriminating picture, they will automatically link you to the scene of the crime. So be careful in the future.

Oh, and apparently bodies smell enough to be gag-worthy after 15 minutes of being deceased, and lupine body language is diverse enough to have complete nonverbal conversations with specific wordchoice and every thing. Even when you are not even freaking LOOKING at the werewolf you are having a conversation with.

Okay, with that off my chest....on to the characters. I have decided I dislike the name Claire. It just is a soiled name. Every time I hear it now, it brings to mind some annoying teenage "heroine". No offense to the Claires out there. You can't help what you are named at birth. So even though my first impression of you is shot to pieces, you still have the possibility of growing on me. All the characters in this story were just so completely underdeveloped. Not a likable or memorable face in the bunch. Everyone just filled their stereotypical role. Claire the "sweet" and quiet narrator, who only wants to protect her friends and family. Hottie Matthew, the attractive and understanding love interest who inexplicably falls for Plain Janes. Emily, the talkative and bubbly biffle. And Marie, the type-A mother. Mix in some wolves and bad guys, and there you go.

The plot was poo. I would say it was predictable, but I did fall prey to the red-herring for the longest time. I am actually quite ashamed I didn't figure it out sooner. So props there. And there was just no action or suspense. Just Claire fretting and worrying. I had no problem putting this book down.

Oh, and what is the mysterious Goddess that created werewolves?

Don't let my bitchin' and moanin' stop you from reading this book if it sounds interesting, really. It's just books like these make me bitter.
27 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Claire de Lune.

06/14/2010
80.0% "Okay, say your mother just told you that you're a werewolf....what do you do? If you are Claire, you worry about what this cute boy will think"
06/15/2010 page 174
49.0% "I've decided I don't like the name Claire."
06/16/2010 page 243
69.0% "Apparently, a mere tail twitch can mean a dramatic soliloquy." 1 comment
06/18/2010 page 320
91.0% "Once I'm done with this book, there shall be some ranting." 5 comments
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Kim (last edited Jun 15, 2010 11:52PM) (new)

Kim The author was obviously watching Twilight when she came up with this title.

message 2: by ~Tina~ (last edited Jun 16, 2010 03:18AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

~Tina~ Ya think? ^^

I love that piece though;)

Can't wait to hear what you think Morg! I'm afraid it's going to be another "Never Cry Werewolf" deal:(

~Tina~ In the refrigerator? Reallllly? Wow!
"The plot was poo" LMAO!!

Great and honest review, most of what you said would pretty much bug me as well. I am so, so glad I'm getting this at my lib now!

Morgan F Sometimes there are no other words but "poo", Tina. You say it, and everyone knows what you think.

message 5: by Nic (new) - rated it 2 stars

Nic Argh!!! I had already ordered this thinking it was going to be a something special. I hate wasting money on boring books. Loved your honest review.

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim Mary Sue Land must be a completely deserted place by now.

Lol @ the sunflowers, oh, here is my conclusion, now let's find a half-assed way to jump to it!

I can't help but feel violent after reading your review. Not because of the review but because of the entire book.

Morgan F Hey, you still might like it, Nic.

And Kim, if you ever read this one, I am seriously looking forward to what you have to say.

~Tina~ ^^ Haha, what Morg said!!

oliviasbooks I'll read yxour review in August, since I have preordered the paperback anyway (only 3,86 EUR, though).

message 10: by Kim (new)

Kim Oh well then I'll read it. I'll keep my eyes open for it, but I'm going to spend as little money as possible on this ~gem.

message 11: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Oh poo... I mean boo, I was going to get this book. Not any more... thank you very much. ;)

Great review Morgan! I am taking this book off my TBR. BTW, glad my name ain't Claire. LMAO!

~Tina~ LOL Yeah, poor Morgan hasn't had very good luck with characters named Claire. I agree, I'm glad to be a Tina >.<

Morgan F I'm starting to feel a little bad for this book now.

Especially since I didn't even buy it myself.

And I am now going to create an annoying characters shelf.

message 14: by Kim (last edited Jun 20, 2010 12:18AM) (new)

Kim I found a copy of this book yesterday, I'll give it a try as soon as I finish one of the other books I'm reading. I should stop reading so many books at the same time and limit it to 3.

Hmmm, I like your shelf idea Morgan.

ETA: I was going to ask if Bella was up there, but I checked and... Never mind ^^ <3

~Tina~ I actually agree with all your choices for your annoying list.

Except Bella:P

Morgan F Hey, who said I put Twilight on there because of Bella?

message 17: by Kim (new)

Kim Edward then?

Morgan F Actually, both.

~Tina~ Ah.

message 20: by Kim (last edited Jun 20, 2010 01:35PM) (new)

Kim AHAH! I was 50% right!

ROFL @ Tina's reaction XD

ETA: you can't shoot Edward, just saying. OK, you can, but won't kill him.

Morgan F If he was a such a bad-ass vampire, I wouldn't be able too.

oliviasbooks was as negatively amused by the mental talking concept as you: The conversations consist of detailed descriptions and abstract ideas but are supposedly transmitted via body odor chemicals and body language (oh, the thousand different ways to loll your lupine tongue).

message 23: by Evie (new) - rated it 4 stars