Kat Kennedy's Reviews > Sabriel

Sabriel by Garth Nix

Jun 24, 10

bookshelves: fun-fantasy, kat-s-book-reviews, favorites, australian-writer
Recommended for: Fans of LOTR and Fantasy Genre
Read from June 22 to 24, 2010

I picked this book up from the library and noticed stickers on the book declaring that it was part of a reading challenge here in NSW for grades 7-8.

"This book is acceptable to read for 12-13 year olds? Fuck me, can we turn around and go back to the library?" I asked my husband.

He shook his head and smiled at me. "Just try it. You never know."

"It's for twelve-to-thirteen year olds! No sex! No swearing! Minimum violence! I don't fucking think so!"

In the end, we brought it home and I sulked the whole way. However yesterday I opened it up and thought I'd actually give it a try and I'm really glad it did.

It actually managed to have more romance in it than Darkfever did, and that bloody book has NAKED people on the front cover, for crying out loud!

I thought this was going to be a story about a young girl on a magical adventure with a sword and a bad hair-do. But it turns out it's about an eighteen year old woman with dark, deadly skills being chased and hunted by a terrible and deadly enemy.

Sabriel has a good, clear head on her shoulder. She's smart, she's strong, she's a well-balanced and interesting character. The characters in Sabriel are all interesting and capturing in their way. Mogget was just pure win. He cracked me up. Touchstone was annoying at first but quickly won me over.

The world is interesting and complex, filled with enough creepy things that go bump in the night to really freak me out.

That's the best thing about this book. It's not TRYING to be a children's book. The rising action, climax and VERY short denouement had me on the edge of my seat. I was actually on the edge of my seat throughout most of the book.

In some parts it's really freaky and quite scary, in other parts it's sad.

This is the second male author I've come across lately that has written female characters BETTER than the women have been writing them lately. You can't even compare Sabriel to a character like Bella. Unless you were to really dumb it down into this: Bella - sucks, Sabriel - awesome beyond all belief.

Give this book a go. It was fun, scary, action packed and I absolutely can't wait to read the sequels!
285 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sabriel.

06/23/2010 page 51
10.0% "IN-TER-ES-TING..."
06/23/2010 page 131
26.0% "Mogget, you saucy minx! What was all that about?"
06/23/2010 page 151
30.0% "Dear Garth Nix, if Sabriel continues as it has then you will be my new hero."

message 1: by Tatiana (new) - added it

Tatiana I put this book on my TBR list and removed it on numerous occasions:)

Kat Kennedy Ryan, we'll see how I go. I'm a bit turned off at the age of it. When I borrowed it from the library I hadn't expected that it was for such a young audience.

Tatiana - you saucy minx! What made you continually take it off?

message 3: by Tatiana (new) - added it

Tatiana You know, the usual on GR - I see a good review of it, I put it on, a bad one - take it off. Plus I have a love/hate relationship with male authors.

message 4: by Tatiana (new) - added it

Tatiana I guess, it goes back on my TBR:)

Kat Kennedy LOL - Don't worry, Tatiana! It will probably be off your list next week again! Though I have to say, I can't believe I actually enjoyed this book. I was loathe to actually start it. Ryan, try again. I think you'll like it.

message 6: by Tatiana (new) - added it

Tatiana BTW, who was the other male writer who wrote female POV better than women?

Kat Kennedy Oh, he didn't write a female POV but Rot & Ruin by Jonathan Maberry had two really kickarse female love interests in it. I was going to mention it but it got edited out along the way in a kind of reviewing ADD that I have in which I totally mean to say one thing and end up saying another.

message 8: by Tatiana (new) - added it

Tatiana OK, I got it:)

Anila All I'll say is: Yay Kat! This series is one of my perennial favorites, particularly on audio. I can re-read (or re-listen, as the case may be) them every few years and still love them; the age thing isn't a factor at all.

Penny Anila wrote: "All I'll say is: Yay Kat! This series is one of my perennial favorites, particularly on audio. I can re-read (or re-listen, as the case may be) them every few years and still love them; the age ..."

Wait. I was just looking at the audiobook and it said it was narrated by Tim Curry. So... he does a great job?

Anila Well, I should tell you that I've never seen Rocky Horror or anything else with Tim Curry, so that was the medium in which I first encountered him. Be that as it may, I think his rather dark, dry voice is well-suited to these books, and he does a very good job with the voices. He's not quite Nathaniel Parker's caliber (if you're not familliar with him, he narrates the Artemis Fowl series and I believe the Bartimaeus Trilogy and is practically a one-man full cast) but he does do a great job, yes.

message 12: by Bry (new)

Bry Love your reasons for not wanting to read it...No sex! No swearing! Minimum violence! I don't fucking think so! Seriously, I was laughing out loud in the middle of my office!

Glad you enjoyed it after not expecting too! Might have to try it now myself!

Kat Kennedy Making you laugh in awkward situations is why I live my life, Bry! ;D

It was such an unexpected and enjoyable read, give it a go!

message 14: by AH (new) - added it

AH That was a great review. I'll have to add this one to the list as well. Like Bry, I did love your reasons for not wanting to read...made me laugh as well.

Jason Nice review, i really enjoyed this book too.

message 16: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle I love Garth Nix, and this is one of my favorites. I have been going back and forth about adding/reviewing things that I read forever ago -- especially things I really love! I am glad that you liked it so much. :)

Kat Kennedy It really was a great book, wasn't it!

Sarah Cave-Dweller One of my favorite trilogies of all time....the sequels are great!

Suunman I love the whole series - for the story and the characters, but also for the complexity of the magical system and mythology... too many times in fantasy books magic is just magic. Garth Nix creates a system of magic and the whole world and story are tied into it...

Sarah Cave-Dweller I know! I think that's what I liked about it the most- that it was like new/unique magic. Very original and fun to read.

Pineapplelover LOL - your review says it all - got to give it a go sometime. CRAP - i keep finding books i want to read

message 22: by Karen (new)

Karen I find your language offensive and inappropriate. :(

message 23: by April (new) - added it

April Lol I loved your review, it made me want to buy the book now and may I say, you have a wise husband.

Kat Kennedy Thanks April.

Elizabeth Jaimes I feel like rereading it! This book was probably the reason why I expanded my reading in middle school. Such a great read.

message 26: by Anne (new) - added it

Anne I've always been wavering back and forth about this book. But your review totally convinced me to give it a try!

Kassy Read this trilogy after having it recommended to me by a friend, but when she told me it was about zombies/necromancers I was like 'eww gross!' But I'm so glad I gave her the benefit of the doubt because I LOVE these books :)

Nicole this book was published in 95 when the writing world was a bit different. i feel like more crap is being published now. :)

message 29: by Merna (last edited Jan 14, 2013 02:50AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Merna Woah. I really wanna give this book a try because of your review also because it came up on my recommendations. But especially since you stated LOTR fans. Thank You :)

message 30: by Kimerakrik (new) - added it

Kimerakrik seems to be a good book wanna try it

Amberlori Love the review! I started this yesterday with similar reservations, so looking forward to it now!

message 32: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Bam, that review just convinced me to read this book. Thanks

message 33: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou Who is the other male author that you think writes a great female voice?

"KayFey" Oh ye of little faith. Don't you know that many YA books are better written and more engaging than what is considered 'for adults'? LOL, I'm glad you discovered Nix. He is too cool and amazing.

Kat Kennedy Hey KayFey, I'm actually well aware of that. This book was in the middle grade section for some reason and I generally like my YA books to be more mature!

Glad I learned better when it comes to Garth Nix.

Susan One of my favorite trilogies!!!

Shanti I love this book so much