AdultFiction Teton County Library's Reviews > Nice to Come Home To

May 30, 10

bookshelves: chick-lit

Teton County Library Call No: F FLOWERS
Brie's rating: 4 stars

rudence Whistler can’t seem to find “It” in her life. In the first fifty pages of the novel, the reader learns she has lost her job with a non-profit and her fix-me-up of a boyfriend, Rudy Fisch, dumps her. She does what anyone would, she turns to those closest to her…friends who seem to be more like a family to her than her own, largely because she is more willing to be herself with them in favor of acting in the roles of dutiful daughter (to her mother, an attentive if somewhat naïve widow) and balanced, in-control older sister (to her younger sister, Patsy, a free-spirited idealist, who herself is looking for “it-ness” in this world). Through her professional and personal lives, she re-examines (often through struggle) what this “it” quotient might really mean to her in terms of her expectations for herself in her personal relationships, her career, her family bonds, and even her choice of address in D.C. I read that Flowers’ novel has been likened to a modern-day Austen work, and that seems a succinct comparison. Sub-plots involving the nature of motherhood, sisterhood, friendship, and self-fulfillment tie in with one another through Flowers’ steady hand. As readers, we are not surprised by the ending (a happy one, for all intents and purposes), but the path along which Flowers takes us there is shaped through an original voice and Flowers’ sharp eye for creating grounded characters who reflect our reality as they draw us further into that of her novel. (The bit about “Thunder Road” was nice, too.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nice to Come Home To.