AdultFiction Teton County Library's Reviews > The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon

Teton County Library Call No: F CHABON
Wendi Walton's Rating: 5 Stars

What can I really say about this book that hasn’t already been said a thousand times? I mean, it won the Pulitzer Prize for goodness’ sake. I could tell you about how the two main characters, Joe Kavalier and Sammy Clay, take the New York City comic book world by storm during it’s inception in the 1940’s, and how their comic book heroes The Escapist, The Monitor and others create a world for Joe, Sammy and all of their readers to escape to during the escalation of the war in Europe. I might also talk about the major theme of escapism which runs throughout the novel, what it means to all of the characters or how it is manifested in the comic books written by Joe and Sammy. Plus, I could easily remark on the imaginative and thought provoking prose of Michael Chabon. However, what I really want to say about this book is how, once I got into the characters, which only took me about 10 pages, I could not put it down because they all felt so wholly relatable (I’m pretty sure I have met Sammy’s mom!) and, how I could not wait to find out what was going to happen to them, their families, their lives, their comic book heroes and even their city. I found “The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay” to be fast paced yet lyrical, creating a wonderful combination that kept me anxiously reading without wanting to skip a word to get to the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay.