Mahyar's Reviews > Suddenly You

Suddenly You by Lisa Kleypas

May 30, 2010

Read from June 15 to 18, 2010

As an avid reader, I’m really fond of writers, publishers and etc. Therefore I fell in love with Amanda and Jack right away. Reading more, I fell even more in love with them, especially Jack. God, I love possessive heroes! Yum. Not for a second did he annoy or bore me. I’ve come to realize that Lisa Kleypas’ heroes are always great; I can't wait to meet more of her awesome characters. SPOILERS!!!

Amanda, on the other hand, annoyed the hell out of me when she’d decided to end the affair. Oh, and her escapades with that other guy were hella boring (Unless Jack was around somewhere.) Why do they care so much about ‘respectable’ husbands in historical novels? It’s annoying. And Umm...Why did Kleypas keep skipping the parts where Amanda wanted to have her dessert? =/

Post-marriage details in HR books are surprisingly enjoyable, I LOVE them. Bedroom scenes somehow seem more intimate, and it just feels good to know they’re inseparable. Hopefully, Kleypas’ other books will have them too! Did I forget to mention the awesome epilogue? It was fantastic!

Thanks NU and Lethal for recommending and encouraging me to read this brilliant book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Suddenly You.

04/13 marked as: read

new_user Good choice. ;)

Desperado Yay, your reading it!!!!! Just knowing your reading it makes me want to re-read it for the 800th time.

message 3: by Mahyar (last edited Jun 15, 2010 09:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mahyar It's really awesome so far. Is it weird that historical-romance heroines always remind me of Cormia or Marissa from BDB? I can't picture them differently LOL.

Desperado It's not weird at all, Mahyar. Quite a few HR heroines have that whole "I'm so dainty & delicate & weak but I've got a backbone" thing going on that Cormia & Marissa do. I personally like my heroines badass & not waiting for the hero to save them but eh.

new_user Yay, you're liking it! I think Cormia and Marissa are also "traditional" in their manners and speech so that may be why too.

message 6: by Mahyar (last edited Jun 15, 2010 11:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mahyar new_user wrote: "Yay, you're liking it! I think Cormia and Marissa are also "traditional" in their manners and speech so that may be why too."

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Cormia and Marissa were the only ones who spoke formally before I started reading historical books.

Lethal is partially right too, but I usually dislike independent heroines, LOL. They're annoying sometimes.

message 7: by new_user (last edited Jun 16, 2010 09:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

new_user It can be annoying in the way that the authors try to demonstrate their "independence." Sometimes it leads the heroine to walk into danger kind of like a bumbling idiot. Sometimes she resists the hero for no reason that I can see, LOL. Sometimes she's rude. I think authors need to do better than this.

message 8: by Mahyar (last edited Jun 16, 2010 10:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mahyar "Sometimes she resists the hero for no reason that I can see." is the most annoying one. I don't mind rude, or reckless heroines. LOL.

message 9: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Great review Mahyar, I love married couples stories,as you know, for the very reasons you mention.

message 10: by Rossy (new) - added it

Rossy Fantastic review, Mahyar!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish This was a great book, I loved it!

message 12: by Mahyar (last edited Jun 17, 2010 02:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mahyar Thank you, Adrienne. I've only read three books with married couples so far: This, Secrets of a Summer Night and His at Night.

EDIT: Thanks, Rossy!

Mahyar I know, UM, I loved it too.

new_user Yay! Good review! They care about respectable husbands so they don't get shunned, LOL.

message 15: by Desperado (last edited Jun 17, 2010 05:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Desperado OMG. I just kind of got a dedication. *sniff sniff* Give me a moment. *Lethal sobs like a little biatch*

Ok, back on topic. Great review, Mahyar! I am so happy you liked this novel. It is one of my absolute favorites by Kleypas. I thought it was pretty cool how they had scenes after the marriage. IIRC, a few of Kleypas's novels have scenes like that at the end. Anyway, Woo!

ETA: I feel really special right now. Like the good kind of special, not the special-ed I normally feel.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish ♠LethalLovely~HBBIC♠ wrote: "OMG. I just kind of got a dedication. *sniff sniff* Give me a moment. *Lethal sobs like a little biatch*

And to think I knew you when. *sigh*

DarienMoya Great review. This book is one of my faves I love Jack all the ways to get him naked, and Amanda had the body of a real woman all curves and softness.

message 18: by Mahyar (last edited Jun 17, 2010 09:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mahyar LOL, Lethal. Thanks! And I'm glad there are more Kleypas books with those scenes, I can't wait!

Thank you, NU and I know, but still...

Thanks, Darien. Yeah she had, and I love Jack too!