S.M. Johnson's Reviews > The Island of Dr. Moreau

The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells

May 30, 10

bookshelves: classic-sci-fi, science-fiction
Read on May 30, 2010

Simply fantastic; Wells is a master of allegory. Maybe it's just the old AP English Student in myself coming out of the dusty closet, but I could see motifs and foreshadowing to the story in even the littlest things, such as the hammock dropping Prendick "to all fours" early on in the story.

The ultimate irony and twist is at the end, of course, by which point the reader has realized how astonishingly close to human nature the Beast People are... or is it the humans who are close to animality? Either way it makes you think.

Not much else to say; can be read in a day and is immensely enjoyable. Ironically it reminded me a lot of my own book that I wrote, although our respective stories had different thematic elements but many of the "weird crazy bestial experimentation" imagery remains, so I was amused by that. I also feel rather bad for trying to drag H.G. Wells down to my elementary level in this comparison. I will attempt to refrain from doing so in the future... =X

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Island of Dr. Moreau.

05/30/2010 page 1
0.64% "Super stoked for this one, LOVED the heck out of "The Time Machine" when I was a kid, so I'm excited for glorious Wells goodness."
show 2 hidden updates…