DarienMoya's Reviews > Shiver

bookshelves: 2010-reads, wolves-shifters, young-adult
Read from December 08 to 19, 2010 — I own a copy

^^ A LITTLE BIT OF A DEEP FREEZE!^^
3.5
Will I say I was impressed by Shiver? Not really. I did like it but I wasn’t completely blown away. I give credit to the fact that it was an original spin on a werewolf story and that’s one of the reasons I am giving it 4 stars. Also that in a weird way I really enjoyed the character Sam, with his music lyrics and green soulful eyes, and his innocence. I found a lot of faults with this book, but it’s a great book aimed at its intended audience.

As a young girl Grace is attacked by wolves and almost killed, but she has a strong memory of one wolf saving her and human hands carrying her off. Since the tragedy the wolf who saved her life, Grace names him as her wolf. She watches him, he watches her in the cold frigid forest surrounding her house. Grace should be terrified of the wolves but she carries a borderline obsession for them and cant help sometimes feeling if only her wolf was a real boy.

With some attacks around the town and a boy being killed, the townsfolk are in upheaval and want the wolves gone. Grace panics because they might kill her wolf and she could not fathom life without his wolfish face. With gusto in her heart, Grace feels she can do something to stop the massacre but what she comes across is the very thing she has hoped for her wolf is a “real boy”.

The story is made up of very short chapters each entitled by the main protagonists name. For Sam they often went a little something like this:
Chapter 12
“I saw her today, she was pretty”. Chapter end. It didn’t really go anything like that, but you get my drift.

I think I am hating because as a teenager a secretly longed for a boy to be staying in my room, right under my parents nose. Live life a little on the edge, heartbreaking because I might lose the boy I have come to love. Of course we would only be sleeping in my bed, because I am a lady and a teenager, and all I wanted was someone who understood me. I wanted to serenely stare out my window and long for a wolf, a magician or a vampire. Teenage life would have been sweeet.

I am not one to compare books to other books, cus come on what book doesn’t share similarities with other books, especially those in the paranormal genre. I think the talent is making the book your own brand of writing and Miss Maggie did that. So as I said I enjoyed Sam, and I kind of liked Grace. She is a little to sweet for my taste, but Sam likes her and that’s all good. The book remains true of its character and writing style and most young girls will definitely love it. It appealed to my better nature, because I am now staring out my window hoping to spot a wolf. No such luck though as I live in the city, I might spot a raccoon, and maybe it will be one hunky hotness of a man.

Will I read book two? Maybe, but not anytime soon.

10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.

12/10/2010 page 54
14.0% "Ummm, a girl in love with a wolf, just waiting for the vampire. Only to find out; no vampire. ;)" 3 comments
12/13/2010 page 115
29.0% "Ummm!"
12/16/2010 page 169
43.0% "This book is all over the bloody place." 3 comments
12/18/2010 page 300
77.0% "Well, well, well. Seems two teens just had sex, and there was no waiting till marriage. How realistic." 16 comments
show 1 hidden update…

Buggy Great review D. I agree with you completly, this was just an okay read for me too and I'm in no hurry to read the next one. It was after all the hype dissapointing but as you say somewhat original.

DarienMoya Thanks Buggy!

Kassa Great review. I didn't particularly like this one but your review does a good job of saying why. I just got even more annoyed by all of it. I liked Sam quite a bit but Grace drove me crazy. I never got the feeling Sam wanted to be cured as much as Grace wanted him to be so that made me want to slap Grace and tell her to stop being so selfish. But she is a pretty immature teenager so I guess it's to be expected she's so selfish and slightly self involved.

message 4: by DarienMoya (last edited Jan 03, 2011 11:10AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

DarienMoya Thanks Kassa, I am not a big fan of Grace either. I think he deserved someone better. There was the whole become human thing, but grace never even talked about becoming wolf for him. I guess being human is better, but any self respecting teenager would want to become the species of the boy she loved. LOL, I know I would. Not like her family life was all that great anyhow.