Anja's Reviews > One Dance with a Duke

One Dance with a Duke by Tessa Dare

Jun 14, 14

bookshelves: c
Read from July 06 to 09, 2010

This book started off slow for me. I did not feel like there was any spark between the leads and wasn't particularly interested in either character. A third of the way into the story I started to see a change in them. They had already married and were on their way to the country estate and started to actually spend time together talking and getting to know one another. I could see a friendship forming and their personalities started to become clear. Their relationship developed slowly but realistically as I would expect from strangers who marry.

Spencer acted like he wasn't properly socialized as a kid and had his own ideas about how a man would respond or talk in certain situations.

"Please speak," she begged him. "It's a lovely moment, and this is where you ruin it. This is where you say something arrogant and insensitive. You know, to save me just in time, before I lose my heart to you completely."

I did feel frustrated with Amelia because I felt she did some stupid things. Especially at the end.

The last minute drama irriated me and felt out of left field. It also led to a big WTF with Amelia. Spencer's reaction to it also lowered his man card points.

I am eager for Bellamy's book. He is filled with all kinds of angsty goodness and unrequited love.

I didn't get a feel for Ashworth's character in this book but I'll still read his story.

Overall, the writing is pretty good and I did not get the feeling that I've read this story in hundreds of other variations before.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Dance with a Duke.

07/07/2010
22.0% "Not connecting with either of the leads and feel no chemistry between them. Having a hard time staying motivated to keep reading."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Catherine I'm really curious about Bellamy. He seems to constantly be playing a role. I'm interested in who he is when he drops the mask.

Anja I am counting days till Bellamy's story is out. You are right about always playing a role. He seems to have so many layers. Did you see the first chapter excerpt on the author website? Julian isn't even his name.

Catherine Nope. I haven't even read the second book yet so I'm trying to stay away from all details about the third. I don't want to accidentally spoil myself. I'm surprised that's not his name. Do you happen to remember how long he and Lily's brother were friends? (I can't remember his name) I'm wondering how long he has been playing that character.

Anja When I read about his name in the excerpt I thought that of course his name was fake, too.

I think he and Leo were friends for 3 years. His book starts 5-6 months after Leo's death.

I liked the second book better than the first.

message 5: by Catherine (last edited Jul 23, 2010 08:16PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Catherine I ended up really disliking the first book so that makes me hopeful.

I really liked how Lily was so frank about his interest in her. She didn't get coy, she freely admitted it. She just didn't believe he had the right motives for the attraction.