Surreysmum's Reviews > Unnatural Death

Unnatural Death by Dorothy L. Sayers

May 29, 10

bookshelves: 1984, mystery
Read in June, 1984

** spoiler alert ** [These notes were made in 1984:]. I was surprised to find a Sayers that I hadn't read. But this is an early Wimsey, and I am not greatly enamoured of it, although Peter shows some signs of turning into a human being with qualms of conscience here and there. The whole novel is strictly of the "puzzle" variety, tho' - the murderess is identified at the start, and the plot is Wimsey's and Parker's gradual figuring out of 'why' and 'how.' I find Sayers' rather offhand acceptance of racial prejudice a bit off-putting and her handling of lesbianism downright unsatisfactory. Bad enough to treat it as a sort of symptom of other personality corruptions, but to confuse it with inexperience! Oh well, every age has its hang-ups, and even the '80s aren't free of that one yet. Incidentally, the New English Library should be ashamed of themselves. The book is full of typos, and at least three times I had to use my intuition to fill in a line or two of missing text. Miss Climpson is introduced in this novel, and a splendid thing she is, with her emphatic letters (underlinings, capitals, and ESPECIALLY(!!) exclamation marks).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unnatural Death.