Amy's Reviews > The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had

The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had by Kristin Levine

Jun 01, 10

bookshelves: young-adult
Read from May 29 to June 01, 2010

Dit is excited to hear there will be a new postmaster moving to town and he's doubly excited to hear that the postmaster has a child his age. Disappointment sets in when the postermaster's child is not only a girl, but a black girl. Set in 1917 in southern Alabama, prejudice is a way of life. Reluctantly, Dit starts a friendship with Emma, the postmaster's daughter. He teaches her to skip stones across the lake, throw a baseball, make a cave, and more. Dit and Emma's friendship grows despite teasing and talk around town that they are more than friends. The climax of the book is when Dit's friend, Doc, shoots the prejudiced sheriff in self-defense and yet is found guilty of murder. He is about to hang when Emma and Dit find a way to save him. I won't give it away 'cuz it's good!

The only reservation I have about this book being an MHL book is the repeated use of the "N" word, which is used completely in context in this book but would be a source of complaints as an MHL book I'm sure, and a couple of incidents of minor violence (i.e. throwing a bag of kittens into the river). Otherwise, I thought the book was great! I read most of it in one day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had.