Susan's Reviews > Pretty Little Mistakes: A Do-Over Novel

Pretty Little Mistakes by Heather McElhatton

Heather McElhatton's Pretty Little Mistakes: A Do-Over Novel is more fun that a barrel of monkeys! Beginning after your high school graduation, you are asked to make a choice between going to school and travel. Based on that decision, you make another and another in this updated version of the old "Choose Your Own Adventure" novel. The possibilities are truly limitless, and the adventures extraordinary! You can read each "life" in about 20 or 30 minutes from start to finish, but you won't want to stop there. If you're like me, you'll read this book dozens of more times, trying out different decisions and getting outcomes that range from the hilarious to the heart-breaking.

Each life you live ends in death - sometimes a natural death after living a long life, sometimes death by accident, and sometimes murder. After each life ends, McElhatton describes the afterlife of that person, ranging from textbook descriptions of heaven and hell, to a "choose your own afterlife" sort of thing, to re-incarnation as a fish! It's all just utterly fascinating.

I couldn't stop myself from trying on new lives all week long! The funniest thing is that the life yielded by my first choices was the best one in my opinion. I ended up living in a stone cottage in the country with a husband, child, and grandchild that I loved. I died at a "ripe-old-age," after a life full of love, travel, adventure, and even a little fame - who wouldn't want to live such a life?

Just like in real life, the safe, honest, and "right" choices didn't always yield the best results. I really did get my share of horrifying death scenes in my exploration of Pretty Little Mistakes, but it was still fun to make those decisions in my quest for the perfect life.

Pretty Little Mistakes: A Do-Over Novel is an inspired idea, brilliantly conceived and expertly accomplished. It is one of those library books I wish I'd bought and not checked-out. After all, there are probably a hundred or more combinations that I didn't get to examine. I may need to run to the bookstore for this one...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretty Little Mistakes.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Abby I LOVED this book. So much fun- it sucked up a whole day of mine to make sure that I didn't miss any options. :)

Susan It looks so good! I couldn't resist it when I was at the library :)