Jen's Reviews > Atonement

Atonement by Ian McEwan

Jul 01, 10

bookshelves: favorites
Read in May, 2010

You have to ask yourself one question: Do I love books more than movies or vice versa?

The movie this book was made into was phenomenal, but it was also one of the most close-to-the-book adaptations I have ever seen. I watched the movie first, then read the book a couple of years later (trying to put some distance between them) but I still knew everything that was going to happen.

It is my personal preference to rather have a book ruin a movie than vice versa. I get much more pleasure out of reading.

Think about this question before you read, or at least put some distance between the two if you have already seen the movie.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Atonement.

Ashley I love this book, but so many people I know hated it. Like, HATED it. I wonder why that is.

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen I love the book, but I hate Briony. Maybe some people can't separate those two things.

Ashley You're supposed to hate Briony. Because she's an idiot. (And she pays for it, which is the whole point of the book.)

message 4: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Yes, I agree. I love to hate her. It is risky making the hated character the main character, though.