Chrissy's Reviews > The Fire Lord's Lover

The Fire Lord's Lover by Kathryne Kennedy

Jul 18, 10

bookshelves: historical-fiction, fairies-elves, fantasy, arcs-i-own, rao-reviews, 2010, georgian-era, england
Recommended for: fans of romantic fantasy
Read in July, 2010, read count: 1

( Originally published on Read All Over Reviews )

This is my first introduction to Kathryne Kennedy so I can't really speak on how this holds up to her previous works, but I was rather impressed. While I wouldn't put her up there with J.R.R. Tolkien in regards to world creation, this alternative Georgian England—ruled over by six Elf Lords who have deserted their native Elfhame out of boredom—is lavish, intriguing and highly creative. It is a remarkable and thoroughly enjoyable blend of fantasy, historical fiction and high romance.

Those who love a good Regency or Georgian romance shouldn't be intimidated by the fantasy within The Fire Lord's Lover. The detail to life in England at that time is still the same despite the magic, Elves and dragons. We still have our lucullan nobles and well-favored cravats *wink*.

I really loved Kennedy's elves. It's a nice blending of the majestic and graceful Tolkienesque elves but without them being too overly pretty (to the point of androgyny). Kennedy's elves are tall, graceful and majestic sure, but they are also surly, arrogant and elusive which I think gives them an edge.

The book does have a bit too much lovey-dovey, sappy romance for me though—which is why I don't normally read straight-forward romances as I like my romance raw and real—but there was such a good coalescing of action, suspense and magic (and angst; love me some angst!) that it was easily overlooked. The characters weren't quite two-dimensional however Dominic's change of heart near the end was a little too unrealistic for my taste. But people don't really read romances to find reality, do they?

The Fire Lord's Lover is the first of a new series by Kennedy, yet the ending is satisfying and handled very well, leaving just enough wanting but not so much that you are left frustrated and disappointed that you have to wait for the next book.

Overall, an very decent work and one that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to those needing some light reading to unwind and de-stress with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fire Lord's Lover.

07/10/2010 page 60