Mahina's Reviews > Son of a Witch

Son of a Witch by Gregory Maguire

May 05, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: listenedto
Recommended for: people who liked Wicked
Read in April, 2007

I liked this story better than "Wicked". It has similar elements of political intrigue and activism to "Wicked" but it is painted with a more strident brush.
I am a great an of Maguire and enjoy while being grossed out by his realistic (read graphic) descriptions of nearly every aspect of life.
"Son of a Witch" is Liir's story and throughout "Wicked" you never really find out if Liir really is Elphaba's son. In SOW, the same lack of explanation of Liir's origins continues. It is only the very last line of the story that provides the answer in a roundabout way.
Liir's journey is filled with so many of the darkest acts of man -- infanticide, police brutality, descriptions of prison/prison life, murder, rape, slavery, environmental destruction...I'm probably leaving some out...but despite all this a thread of hopefulness carries through the story. Liir, the unloved, unclaimed boy, learns about love in it's many forms.
The good and the bad about the ending is that it leaves room for a third novel.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Son of a Witch.

message 1: by David (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

David Taylor "round about" is not an answer. Liir is my son, and yours. He is my brother and my worst enemy. He is everyman and no man. I love Liir. :)