Gina's Reviews > The Gunslinger

The Gunslinger by Stephen King

Jun 26, 10

bookshelves: borrowed-book, fantasy, group-reads, science-fiction
Read from June 16 to 24, 2010, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** Just about as I remembered it when I first read it almost two decades ago...

I can't really write a review like I usually do, with a small rundown of what happens and then comment on it. The book is confusing, as I remembered it from long ago.

We see some background on Roland, the Gunslinger. We get his coming of age story, which is almost disturbing if not for the fact that his world is on different plane than ours. He is searching for the Dark Tower, compelled to search for it, and is after the Man in Black, the embodiment of evil. He wants answers, and only the Man in Black can give them to him.

Along the way, he meets a lot of people, who I don't believe were originally evil, but are turned that way, as the Man in Black passed through town before him.

Then he meets Jake, a young boy from our plane, who had been brought over by the Man in Black. I still don't really understand why Jake was even put in the Gunslinger's path. What am I missing? If someone knows, please let me know.

And just when Roland catches up with the Man in Black, he has a difficult decision: lose Jake or lose the Man in Black. He chooses to lose Jake. I felt badly for Jake. He didn't ask to be pushed into traffic and killed. He didn't ask to be brought over to a different plane of existance. I felt just as confused as the kid. I was left with many questions unanswered. Once I read the Author's Afterword, I did get a bit of a sense as to what King is up to in this series, and come to realize that a lot of those questions I have are just as much unanswered for him as well. Okay, so now I don't feel like I'm swimming in the middle of an ocean with no hope in sight.

I will continue with the series, one book per month, along with some of the ladies in the group. I never did finish the series, and I'm determined to get it done.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gunslinger.

06/16/2010 page 64
06/17/2010 page 126
40.0% "I read this one almost 2 decades ago. It's all coming back to me."
06/17/2010 page 171
54.0% "Yep, it's all coming back to me."
06/24/2010 page 315
100.0% "Sad for the loss of Jake. Curious to continue. I'd read the first couple of book years and years ago - time to revisit."
show 1 hidden update…