Emily's Reviews > Three Cups of Tea: Young Reader's Edition

Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson

May 29, 10

Read in May, 2010

I had to read the Young Reader's edition for a book discussion (and I didn't really have time to read the original version either). I thought it was fascinating to learn about the hugely different culture of Islam (something I was already interested in) and I really respected what Greg Mortenson was doing. I liked that he is trying to educate children, especially girls, in order to make necessary changes in the culture itself. Schools would ultimately make a real change in Pakistan and Afghanistan, whereas certain material things don't last or change anything long-term.

However, the Young Reader's edition, rather than making the story more interesting or easier to read, made it dull and almost boring. I don't even know if I would recommend it to a younger kid. It wasn't special, it was just dumbed down. (The only really different part, as far as I could tell, was the interview with Greg's daughter, Amira.)

I definitely plan on reading the adult version of the book. I imagine that, told in his own words, Greg Mortenson's story is much more interesting.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Cups of Tea.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Hanna I aggree with you. i read this edition for book club after school. It was intresting and different but drug out. and dull. but it made me want to make a difference in the world and help others . I think a lot of other people thought that too of making a difference after reading it.