Regina's Reviews > Fair Game

Fair Game by Patricia Briggs

Mar 05, 2012

bookshelves: urban-fantasy-uf, series-to-continue, favorite-authors, favorite-series, favorites, audio-also-listened-to, have-in-audio, shifter, spin-off-series, dark-gritty-urban-fantasy
Read from February 28 to March 04, 2012

I freaking loved this book! I loved the mystery, I loved Charles and Anna! I loved the glimpses of Adam and the Mercy Thompson world. Bran was amazing and Briggs gave us a good amount of Bran.

Patricia Briggs has that special something that makes me feel so happy and contented to slip into her world and read any one of her books. The characters may be scary and the subject matter disturbing, but Briggs writes them in such a rich way that I wish I was there. The supernaturals in Briggs’ world are scary, not just spooky but frightening. They are strong, not entirely in control of their strength and quite a few of her supernaturals operate around a completely different moral compass than humans do. I love this about her books. The vampires are scary, the Fae are an unknown and usually powerful and scream-worthy and the werewolves? They are strong, beautiful, loyal but definitely not human. The Fae are not my favorite characters in Briggs’ books. Some of her past books have dwelt to heavily with Fae characters, in my opinion; Fair Game strikes the perfect balance. There is Fae intrigue but it takes place in the human world and involves human beings, werewolves and sociopaths. The focus of the story never strays from the werewolves and Anna and Charles are front in center.

Fair Game picks up a few years after Hunting Ground and starts right after River Marked. There are references to the resolution of River Marked, readers who have not yet read River Marked and plan to do so, be warned there are spoilers to the ending of River Marked in Fair Game. Based on the timing, Charles and Anna have been together a few years and Anna has been in Montana for awhile. Like any couple, there are issues and Charles and Anna are no exception. Unfortunately, their problems have more to do with Bran and the outside world.

Okay, so what about Charles and Anna? I have a strong preference for urban fantasy and fantasy with creative world building, intricate worlds and rich characters but if you throw in a romance, I will enjoy it. Well, Briggs does more than just throw in a romance, the story of Charles and Anna is not the driving force of these books – the characters, the world and the storyline are – -but Charles and Anna provide the structure and vehicle for telling the story. There would be no story without their relationship. Fans of Charles and Anna will not be disappointed, readers are treated with quite a few very sweet scenes and a few issues the couple has to work through. Maybe I say that too lightly – the issues facing the couple are dark, twisted and well, Briggs came up with a truly unique storyline of what was stressing Charles and Anna. Readers will not be left on a cliff wondering if Charles and Anna can resolve their problems though, Briggs wraps up these issues by the end of the novel.

The ending was fantastic. I loved it. Many writers in this genre put out installment after installment of books that do not push the story arc further or change the game at all. Fair Game is not like that nor is Briggs a writer like that. What Briggs does so well is to continue to develop her world, she doesn’t ever rest on what she has already written – -she pushes her world building and her characters. Readers learn more about the Fae and their crazy world, more about the werewolves — and the characters and the worlds come to a very dramatic ending that leaves off in a way that makes me beyond excited for the next book!

I have two complaints. First, I wish it was longer. Fair Game is a decent length novel, but I wanted more. Briggs definitely did not skimp on storyline or character development, I just am greedy and want more. Second, I fear it will be another 2 years or more until we get the next installment. Mercy Thompson #7 is due out Spring 2013, I guess I will have to be content with re-reading both Mercy and Alpha and hoping for some short stories from Briggs along the way.

Full review at www.badassbookreviews.com and interview with Patricia Briggs at www.badassbookreviews.com on March 6, 2012!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fair Game.

02/29/2012
3.0% "Leslie learned two valuable things about the Fae that day. They were powerful and charming - and they ate children and puppies." 3 comments
02/29/2012
10.0% "Bran - oh I forgot how I missed you!"
03/01/2012
15.0% "River Marked spoiler! There are several scenes in this book that giveaway the ending of River Marked and who Mercy's mate is (in case readers haven't read Iron Kissed yet)." 4 comments
show 2 hidden updates…

Comments <span class="mediumText">(showing 1-29)</span>

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 29: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris I didn't realize she was doing another one in that series.

Regina I can't wait!

Sandra You should read the prequel in 'On The Prowl' I love it and have re-read it several times. It's short and sweet.

message 26: by Regina (last edited Mar 06, 2011 05:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Regina I have, but I read it as an ebook stand alone. I love it too. It is one of the better short stories I have read -- maybe bc I already "knew" Bran and Charles -- it takes place where I live. :) Alpha & Omega A Companion Novella to Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, Prequel) by Patricia Briggs

Sandra Stand alone was a good call, it was the best out of the 4. And it is always hard not to get a little more into when you know the area or have lived there.

Regina Well, lol, it was more about impatience. I had Cry Wolf form the library and didnt want to wait for On The Prowl, so I just downloaded the ebook. :)

Sandra Feb 7th?! Too far away!

Regina I agree!!!!!

message 21: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Wait, it says here March. Did it change again?

Regina I noticed that too. :( Amazon also says March 6th now.

Sandra DAMMIT!

Lady Jaye Why do you get all the cool books early?!!!!!!!!!!

Kerstin ~ (SheReadsByMoonlight) You are making me jealous on a weekly basis nowadays ;)

Regina I love netgalley. It is both a curse and an addiction but also a wonderful blessing!

Lady Jaye You got this from Net Galley? I never see any of the Ace/Roc books on there.

Regina I did LJ -- sorry I missed this comment earlier.

Lady Jaye Just out of curiosity, is there a special section where the ace/roc books are? I never see any of them on there.

Vivian More Bran?! I'm even more excited to read the book now :D

Regina Yes! He plays a strong role -- not a leading, but he is there.

Nicole Great review. I loved this book. the ending was terrific and makes me so excited to read both series.

Regina I am very excited to read the next mercy! The ending pushed this world in a great direction. It makes sense as they have so much power. It is kind of sad because I am guessing that (view spoiler)

Briggs can write very creepy bad guys. I also liked how we really saw how good of a fighter Charles was and how scary he is. I mean it is always described but I feel like Briggs showed us examples of this. Man I just live Charles.

Lisa Kay Wonderful review, Regina! Thanks for the link to PB's interview on your blog. ☺

SheLove2Read Can I just say AMEN!

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Great review! I loved this book, the ending was greatI can't wait to see what she does with it!

Regina I know! that ending is a major game changer!

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) It is, I wasn't expecting that at all, although I had heard people saying something big happened at the end of the book.

I have run out of Patricia Briggs now! I am going to have to try out her fantasy books next I think

Regina She has a lot of great shorts in the Mercy world, but not with Mercy. She is a rare author that can write really good short stories: it doesn't have all the short stories on it though: http://www.hurog.com/forum/index.php?...

There is a really spooky but good one about a vampire who goes back to Montana, I can't remember which anthology that was in though.

If you go on to her fantasy, which one will you start with?

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) I remember really liking one of her shorts, it was the one with Moira the blind witch and Tom, they after appeared in the books! I was so excited lol I will definitely have to check out more, I recognise some of those anthologies I might actually have them

I think I will start her Sianim one, but it depends which ones are more easily available really. Are you going to start them?

Zeek Wasnt Fair Game so good??? :P