Dorothy's Reviews > Clockwork Angel

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

May 30, 10

bookshelves: reading-challenge-2010
Read from May 29 to 30, 2010

First, I'm going to tell you that this is a completely spoiler-free review, so don't be scared of reading on.

Second, I'm going to tell you that I loved this book.

And third, I'm going to tell you why I wasn't sure I would.

I am a huge fan of Cassandra Clare. I have been following her writing since long before City of Bones was published. I run this website, I've stalked her book signings, bugged the heck out of her on Twitter, and I had the privilege of receiving an ARC of City of Glass in January of 2009. That book quickly took the title of my favorite book ever. The way Cassie can weave a story together sometimes leaves you feeling like you're on Disney's Space Mountain--you're on a roller coaster in the dark, afraid that you're going to bang your head on one of the other tracks, but totally not caring because it's just so much fun.

Like many of you (assuming you're a Cassie fan who is in love with the story of Jace and Clary), I was very apprehensive about The Infernal Devices. I've kept this a secret because I didn't want to be one of those fans who was exclusively in love with Jace and Clary. In fact, I wasn't. I was a fan of Magnus and Alec and Simon (not as a trio, but as three separate characters!). I knew I was going to miss them a lot. I was afraid that Clockwork Angel wouldn't live up to my expectations--that it would fall short of the story I was told about the Shadowhunters in TMI.

Boy, was I wrong.

If you're like me--if you're nervous about this new series not living up to TMI--throw those fears away right now. I'm serious. Get up right now and go trash them. I'll be here when you get back.

Are they gone?

Good.

Clockwork Angel follows Tessa Gray, a native New Yorker, who has arrived in London after her brother sent money and a steamer ticket following their Aunt Harriet's death. All Tessa has left in the world is her brother--but she arrives in London to find that he has been kidnapped and she may have no hope of saving him unless she complies with the wishes of the Dark Sisters, who are training her to use a power she didn't even know she had. Enter Shadowhunters, including the sort-of-snarky-mostly-mean Will Herondale, Jem Carstairs (who frequently acts as Will's filter and conscience), Charlotte and her husband Henry (who I compared to Arthur Weasley on speed), and a young lady named Jessamine who wants little to do with Shadowhunters.

Tessa has tunnel vision and wants nothing more than to save her brother from whatever it was that took him in the first place. Will's investigation into the deaths of children is what brought him to the home of the Dark Sisters--and to Tessa--in the first place. Now that the Shadowhunters have Tessa, they believe that she may be a key weapon in finding out what is going on with the Downworlders. There's a fellow who the Downworlders refer to as "The Magister" who is creating a kind of clockwork army--and if he is successful, the results would be deadly and utterly catastrophic. But Tessa just wants to find her brother and get her life back to normal. But was her life ever normal to begin with?

There are recognizable names in the novel--Herondale, Lightwood, Wayland--and even a character we've met before. He goes by the name of Magnus Bane. Perhaps you've heard of him? You'll be happy to know that his clothes are still a bit eccentric, but he has not yet discovered the beauty of glitter and colorful hair.

I'd say that one of the definite highlights of this book is Tessa. She is bookish and smart, even with her desperation to save her brother. She matures from beginning to end and learns things even when she is reluctant to believe. Another thing about Tessa is that she is so sensitive about what a lady should and shouldn't do, how a servant should and should not speak, how a lady and a gentleman interact. She is definitely one of the voices of the period in this novel, along with Jessamine. And while I am rarely a fan of period novels, this one is definitely one I would have been sad to miss.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Angel.

05/29/2010 page 286
59.71% "LOVE"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ika (new) - added it

Ika B Let me just say! i loved your Review...you made me go want to read it!! thank you sooo much! i'll be sure to pick thid up next time i go to the book store!

message 2: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Thanks for writing such an awesome review!
My earlier apprehension is gone--threw it away!
Love, Hannah

message 3: by Shannon (new) - added it

Shannon Awesome review. I too have thrown away my apprehension and look forward to reading it!

Alli awesome review, i'm so reading it. the MI series was amazing..but how'd you get your hands on clockwork angel? i thought it wasn't out until the end of august?? i really wanna read it!