Pastoralmusings's Reviews > Bringing Up Girls (Abridged): Practical Advice and Encouragement for Those Shaping the Next Generation of Women

Bringing Up Girls (Abridged) by James C. Dobson

M_50x66
May 29, 10

Read in May, 2010

James Dobson has certainly written a helpful book. Bringing Up Girls brings together the best of research concerning trends that affect girls today as well as timeless truth about the need for parent to be, well, parents to their girls.
As a father I was especially interested to read what Dobson had to say about the role of fathers in the raising of their girls. I was not disappointed, but was challenged to be a better father because of this book. Dads, we are needed in our homes and we are needed by our daughters.
Dobson points out that girls are different from boys (sadly, we need to be reminded of that in our day) and have unique needs. He then points out to us how to respond to those needs.
One thing that I appreciate is how Dobson brings in the relevant issues of today's media saturation and the dangers of online media. At the same time he makes this something that will not necessarily be dated when the media changes. In all of these things Dobson reminds parents to be proactive, involved, firm, and loving as they deal with their daughters.
One thing that stood out to me was that Dobson emphasized the need of girls to feel beautiful. They need affirmation from their mothers and their fathers. This is indeed important. I can see that in my own five year old daughter. While we must affirm their own unique beauty, fathers must also care enough to set boundaries so that their daughters will have the security of being cared for, protected, and loved.
So very many positive things could be said about this book. I shall simply conclude by recommending it to those who have daughters. It is helpful and needful.
Thanks to Tyndale for this review copy. It was provided freely with no expectation of a positive review.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bringing Up Girls (Abridged).