Kyle, E's Reviews > War

War by Sebastian Junger

Jun 03, 10

Read from May 31 to June 02, 2010

This books was ok. I found it to be an enjoyable read but the jumpy narrative was a bit off putting. I kept catching myself skimming paragraphs and some things that should have been explained or pointed out were left for the reader to figure out (like a dushka) whereas, things like mortars, which are pretty simple to understand and many people know what they are, were explained in more detail.

I didn't find many of his theories very insightful as he used mostly psychological studies conducted by other people for his references. He tells us that the soldiers are masters of humour and yet from the dialogue he includes I can tell that there is much funnier material he could have added. The timeline jumps back and forth and it gets a bit confusing. As an embedded journalist I expected his insights to look a little deeper rather than telling us what we kind of already knew. Some paragraphs were beautifully composed and the structure was nice despite the timeline as he would begin by introducing the firefight from the first few shots and then cut off to tell the reader about some surveys and theories before continuing the firefight tale.

I know that I am being very critical but I actually did enjoy reading this book and some features of the structure and composure I admired. I simply expected more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read War.

Quotes Kyle, Liked

Sebastian Junger
“War is life multiplied by some number that no one has ever heard of.”
Sebastian Junger, War

Sebastian Junger
“The army consists of the first infantry division and eight million replacements.”
Sebastian Junger, War

dateDown_arrow    newest »

H3ather but you like the twilight books so how seriously can we take you?

Kyle, E And so do millions of other people. Who cares?

message 3: by Harit (new)

Harit agree with your review. The timeline jumps were a bit disorienting. Also, he could have included more dialog with soldiers rather than a somewhat dry narrative-only style.

Paul @Kyle, E....perhaps you should re-read the book when you are little older.