Alisha Marie's Reviews > Hate List

Hate List by Jennifer Brown

Nov 06, 10

bookshelves: young-adult, e-books-i-ve-read, tearjerkers
Read in November, 2010

Wow! Hate List was gritty, raw, and extremely real. More than that it was really complex. More complex than your average school shooting book. How? Well for one thing, Hate List is narrated by the girlfriend of the murderer. So, you're never really sure what to feel in regards to Valerie. Should you pity her because of the way her ex-friends are treating her? Is it deserved because she was the one who had the most insight into her boyfriend's life and yet remained ignorant even when the signs were right there?

These are just some of the issues Valerie has to deal with along with her parents' perceptions of her and their failing marriage. She also has to deal with the love she still has for Boyfriend Nick and the hate she feels for Shooter Nick. Hate List was just amazing in the way it evoked emotions from the reader. You could just feel the pain that not only Valerie was going through, but what everyone else who was there the day of the shooting was feeling.

Hate List was depressing as hell. It was. Books or movies about school shootings just turn me into a sobbing mess. Hate List was no exception. I was bawling through half of this book. Still, I absolutely recommend it. It was honest, real, and just utterly amazing! I think this has to be the best fiction book on school shootings that I've read (Columbine remains my favorite non-fiction book on this subject). I read this book in one sitting, absolutely absorbed. So pick up Hate List. I guarantee you won't be the same afterwards.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hate List.