Matthew's Reviews > Bitter Seeds

bookshelves: sf, e-books
Recommended to Matthew by: Sword and Laser Bookclub Pick for June, 2010
Recommended for: Fans of alternative history SF
Read from May 25 to 28, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

This is a very good book, overall. Tregillis grabs the reader from the very first page and doesn't really let go until the end.

Bitter Seeds is part of a three-book cycle, so the book ends somewhat weakly, leaving several plot threads hanging loosely.

The story itself is intriguing. An alternate history retelling of the Second World War wherein the Nazis create a race of Supermen using advanced technology. The British fight this using supernatural creatures. The entire story takes place between the end of World War I and the middle of 1941, a few months before the attack on Pearl Harbor and the U.S. entry in to the war.

The characters are interesting, with flaws and drives that make them unique. Perhaps the only thing I would have preferred a bit more backstory on the main characters. Marsh and Will, specifically. The reader tends to get more information about the Nazi characters through the ruminations of Klaus and we're left to guess about the lives of Marsh and Will from the time they come in contact with their respective mentors and are taken down the paths that will shape their lives.

In all, it's a good book with an intriguing idea at its core and worth a look.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bitter Seeds.