Sophia Choi's Reviews > Ever After

Ever After by Karen Kingsbury

F_50x66
Jun 08, 10

War has always been a large topic for debate and a complex issue to follow. War can separate couples and in some cases, bring them together. Ever After by Karen Kingsbury is the moving sequel to Ever Now and continues the story of Lauren and Shane who have finally been reunited but are now threatening to tear apart because their beliefs on the war in Iraq conflict with each other. Emily Anderson is now entering college and meets the boy of her dreams. Two months later, he is back in Iraq fighting for his country and may never return again. I have to admit that I cried throughout the second half of the book, and would try not to read it in class, fearing that some of my classmates might notice that there were tears streaming down my face as I read. Karen Kingsbury brings the personalities of the characters to life by describing each individual personally, almost as if instead of Kingsbury writing the story, it was more like a diary from Lauren, Shane, and Emily. I also learned a great deal more about the war in Iraq. I had never known what the war in Iraq was all about. However, as I read more on the different views of the war from the characters, I got a better sense of what was going on in the war. I realize now why it is such an important issue. Kingsbury brings up religion a great deal in the book. All the characters search for God to help give them the answers and were all faithful. This a bit bothered me because other than their main problems, they seemed too perfect. They were all gorgeous and none of them made stupid mistakes. They were filled with good thoughts all the time and Justin, Emily's love, was like the Prince Charming in Cinderella. It was as if reality in some parts was missing. Not only that, some sections of the book was long and drawn out. Karen Kingsbury would continuously bring up the same topics over and over again and it seemed to take forever to get the conflict resolved. Ever After had really made me rethink about my thoughts on war and what it means to sacrifice for your country.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ever After.