Jediraven's Reviews > Les Misérables

Les Misérables by Victor Hugo

Jul 12, 2011

Read from June 14 to July 12, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I've wanted to read this book for awhile, and it really broke the disappointment streak that I'd been having with those stupid vampire books. Hugo did a good job of creating sympathy for the characters. I liked Jean Valjean, but he just seemed so sad all the time. And I really felt for Cosette. The parts with her and Marius were a bit too gooey for me, but other than that I really like how he was able to connect all of the characters in the book. At the beginning one reads it and it seems like he is throwing in random details, short chapters about nothing, odd characters. But he is able to involve all of them and make connections between everything from beginning to end. He even goes and explains it without making the reader feel like and idiot, or assuming the reader knows and leaving them clueless. A very good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Les Misérables.

06/14/2011 page 62
4.0% "This is really weird. The edition I have is missing so far a couple of chapters, so I don't know if the pages match. I'm following along with Sparknotes to make sure I don't miss information."