Katrina Burchett's Reviews > Caleb + Kate

Caleb + Kate by Cindy Martinusen Coloma

Sep 09, 10

bookshelves: books-i-own, young-adult, christian-fiction
Read on August 26, 2010

Kate Monrovi's family owns a chain of hotels, so this young lady drives a Lexus and she can afford a $500 pair of shoes. Caleb Kalani and his father don't have much as far as material things but they are hard workers with integrity. Kate is white, Caleb is Hawaiian. A relationship between these two young people begins with a dare but some family members don't want them to be together. It isn't a racial issue -not totally. Their families have been against each other for more than fifty years for another reason. Caleb knows the story, Kate doesn't have a clue.

I liked Kate. Her family had money but she was down-to-earth... If more of the wealthy in the world helped the poor, we'd have less of a divide between us - I liked that she felt that way. I really liked Caleb. He was easy-going - meek, not weak; he had no problem speaking his mind. These two made lots of preconceived notions about each other for a while there but they weren't as judgmental as Kate's friend, Monica or Caleb's cousin, Finn.

Caleb and Kate fought temptation when it came to having sex, but I got the impression that Kate would have lost her virginity in a heartbeat if Caleb wasn't strong in his convictions. It's always nice to read a story where a teenage guy is willing to wait. It also would have been nice, though, if there would have been more showing and less telling with this part of the story.

Monica and Oliver (Kate's two best friends): What I liked most about them is that they didn't give Kate a hard time because she was a Christian. They respected her choice. Maybe that was easy for them to do because they didn't feel judged by her. Kate was like Christ in this area; she accepted her friends just the way they were. I hope she included them in her prayer time, though, because they did have issues. But then again, it seemed Kate needed a spiritual revival (Page 132).

The fight between Caleb and Kate's families: It seemed to me Kate's family was in the wrong, so, even though Caleb's grandfather did have his ways, I don't see why he was the bad guy. No, it isn't good to hold grudges, but I understood why he was upset.

This was a good story. Caleb & Kate is very well-written and honest.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caleb + Kate.