Tim Niland's Reviews > I'll Mature When I'm Dead: Dave Barry's Amazing Tales of Adulthood

I'll Mature When I'm Dead by Dave Barry

251908
May 28, 10

bookshelves: 2010-reads
Read in May, 2010

After reading a lot of heavy duty crime and espionage fiction, I wanted to take a break with something a little lighter, and the new book by humorist Dave Berry was just the ticket. Collecting the short pieces he has written since leaving the Miami Herald, he is in top form skewering everything from male-female relations to the "wedding-industrial complex." Every story in this book has laugh-out-loud moments (don't read it at a coffee shop like I did if you don't want people giving you dirty looks for giggling and snickering convulsively.) Some of the funniest moments in the book were in his story "Dog Ownership for Beginners" where he takes a hysterical look at the caring and feeding of man's best friend. "Tips for Visiting Miami" takes us into the territory of Barry's friend and colleague Carl Hiaasen, examining the rampant crime and occasional bus riding sharks of his home city. Tackling relationship issues on "The Elephant and the Dandelion" and "If You Will Just Shut Up, I'll Explain" he provides typically outrageous answers in a Q&A format. He ends the book with an epic put-down of the vapid and shallow vampire fiction craze in the satirical "Fangs of Endearment" that provides some much needed comeuppance to the genre of selfish and narcissistic claptrap. All in all, a very funny and thoroughly enjoyable collection.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'll Mature When I'm Dead.