Jennifer's Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Nov 04, 12

bookshelves: books-2011, ya
Read in September, 2011

First off-I loved Hunger Games, so when I picked up Catching Fire I was immediately nervous. I didn't want this to be another in a long line of series that disappoints me as I continue on. I was elated when I loved Catching Fire too. So I was eager to read the final installment. Then life got in the way-I kept putting off reading it-everyone kept asking if I'd read it yet-so I expected . . . much more.

I realize that my expectations of this book were rather high, but they weren't unrealistic. Between the plot and the subtle shifts in writing style this book let me down. This book just lacked the charm of the first two. It was that ability to incorporate subtle moments of humour (at times laugh-out-loud funny) in terrifying situations that made me so entranced with the first two books--here, it was just gone . . .

I know that characters should change and grow with a series-by all means, they should be affected by their circumstances. But the one change that I really wanted to see in Katniss, I never did. She gets to the end and still doesn't have to make the tough decision between Peeta and Gale. And while she ended up with the one that I was rooting for it was in such a way that just left me immensely disappointed: one stays with her and the other just leaves (and rather uncharacteristically I might add).

And the one death that I rather thought would have been the biggest plot-point was just glossed over. The ending itself seemed thrown together and rushed. While the story did come to a solid conclusion, I just wish that it had been arrived at in a different fashion. But the first two will save this book a spot on my book shelves & maybe one day I will give this one another shot. Maybe someday . . .

So, yes, everyone I have finally read it. And, no, you probably don't want to know what I really think about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.