Chrissie's Reviews > The Devil Inside

The Devil Inside by Jenna Black

F_50x66
May 28, 10

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, books-read-2010

Morgan Kingsley is an exorcist who eliminates illegal demons who have either taken over unwilling hosts or have acted violently towards others. At the beginning of this book she attends an exorcism which goes wrong and the demon starts to enter her own body. However, it quickly backs off and Morgan is confused about why the demon decided not to possess her after all. Things start to get stranger for her when she starts to sleep walk and leaving herself written messages during the night. The notes tell her that she is already hosting a demon and that is why the other demon left her alone. The demon then starts to communicate with Morgan through her dreams and she finds out that there are others who want to see the demon inside her dead, even if that means that Morgan dies too.

What I liked most about this book is the world that the author creates. I found it a very interesting concept that demons commonly possess bodies and that people are more than willing to allow this to happen. The people who do host demons are often hailed as heroes as they are able to carry out brave acts without the risk of harming themselves. For example, Dominic is a demon-possessed fireman who is able to rescue a young girl from a burning building by jumping from the top of it. Normally demons would be painted as the bad guys but that is not the case in this book, although there are many people who are also against the demons, including Morgan, who can only see the trouble that is caused by the illegal demons.

I think that Morgan is an amazing female lead character. She is incredibly strong and determined and you can’t help but root for her in the battle against the demons.

Now onto the bad points. There are many erotic scenes in this book, which doesn’t normally bother me. However, many of these scenes were violent in nature and I felt quite uncomfortable reading them. I also felt that there were too many S&M scenes and not all of them were essential to the storyline. This really put me off of the book and although I did enjoy the overall storyline I don’t think I will be rushing out to get any of the other books in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil Inside.