Sam Grace's Reviews > Greece! Rome! Monsters!

Greece! Rome! Monsters! by John        Harris

May 28, 2010

bookshelves: geeky-mythic-stuff, pretty-pictures, non-fiction, to-own
Recommended for: Abigail, kids into myths or monsters, non-fiction but fantastic

The title kinda says it all. It is unapologetically geeking out about monsters. More than ANY book I've read, this one really channels everything I was going for with my own website www.paleothea.com. It tells you about Classical monsters, with every monster getting its own page, but the voice has nothing to do with an encyclopedia. This is conversational, but an awesome conversation, with someone who really completely understands how totally rockin Classical monsters are. And you know what? Even though the vocab is very much of THIS place and time? I bet it'll be really damn cool in twenty years too.

The illustrations are as ridiculous as the writing, celebrating the ridiculous awesomeness of these creatures. The paintings hold themselves as lightly as the writing hold itself, they are perfectly matched. This isn't even a style of illustration I would normally be excited about, but it couldn't be more perfect here.

As someone who truly adored Greek Myths from the moment I was able to read, this is something I absolutely want to pass on to other young people. Don't get me wrong, the drama of Greek myths is an awesome compelling thing and other books bring that out, but being able to play with these monsters, imagine them on your own, and know that there was an entire world in which they really fit? That is what this book does and does without fault.

As for context for reading, this is both a book that a kid into reading on their own could peruse and enjoy, AND a great book for bedtime - choose one or two monsters a night! (I have to confess, I totally did the latter with my husband.)

Bonus points: I first read this book when I was babysitting for my Greek professors kids, and his son had it lying on the ground next to some of his OWN drawings of the Hydra. I forgot about it until I was wandering through the library the other week and saw it on display. Good choice librarians!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Greece! Rome! Monsters!.

message 1: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Grace sorry I was MIA. You should totally pick this up!

message 2: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Grace yay! I'm so glad you liked it!