Sarah Maddaford's Reviews > Dramacon, Vol. 1

Dramacon, Vol. 1 by Svetlana Chmakova

Jun 01, 2010

bookshelves: first-in-series, graphic-novel, manga, modern, realistic-fiction, romance, young-adult, arlington
Read in June, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I usually prefer a bit more fantasy or sci-fi to my manga, but occassionally a realistic romance will catch my interest. This one is fairly unique considering that it takes place at an anime convention. The age difference between Matt and Christie is a bit problematic for me, but only until Christie graduates from high school. I really enjoyed how everyone rallies behind Christie instead of leaving her out in the cold. I will probably try the next book just to see where the author takes the story. The artist/author is Canadian (which shows in the American behavior of the characters), but her still is more like Japanese manga than American comics. There is some language the b-word and damn, but nothing worse. There is an attempted rape scene (that fortunately doesn't go very far) and the two boys beat up on each other a bit. Other than that, there is kissing and implied sex.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dramacon, Vol. 1.

Sarah Maddaford He is in college while she is in high school. I'm just not a fan of age gaps that span potential maturity or power differentials in addition to the difference in age. This one is handled well and doesn't hit my immediate all-stop button.

.·:*¨ × Shannon♥Loving Tomas Vrbada Like Woe × ¨*: That's not so bad. But I'm super glad the relationship sounds very respectable so far. Thanks for the info. =]